AZCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, they don't have your grades but if you do a proper resume you should have your gpas on there. Super!

Members don't see this ad.

So, they don't have your grades but if you do a proper resume you should have your gpas on there. Super!

I have never seen a resume with GPAs.

My CV didn't have a GPA. And it was reviewed by a number or professional people. I think it's probably up in the air as many places/people have different formats which are all similar.

Members don't see this ad :)

i know that last year when i applied they specifically said not to put test scores or grades on the CV you send in with your secondaries.

Anyone else wondering when the committee meets next week? The wait is killing me.

Anyone else wondering when the committee meets next week? The wait is killing me.

Hey Cp22kjer, I think we interviewed together on the 19th. Who were you?

I just used my professional resume. I didn't do a CV. My resume had a lot of time and put into it. My previous major required a 3 tiered process to get your resume approved and it was required to graduate. I guess I'm looking at it from a professional perspective with job applications. You are really supposed to put your gpa on those...that is much more important than most of the other crap you put on to fill space when first applying for jobs.

Anyone from the 9/19 interview want to call their office to find out when we shall hear from them?

Anyone from the 9/19 interview want to call their office to find out when we shall hear from them?

Hmmm from what I understood in my interview is that we are all going to be in the first batch so anyone who has interviewed thus far should be receiving evaluation by the committee at the same time :D

Anyone know????

I would buuutttt I'm at work so I can't break away for a couple hours. Anyone else??? Number for admissions is 623-572-3275:rolleyes:

I would buuutttt I'm at work so I can't break away for a couple hours. Anyone else??? Number for admissions is 623-572-3275:rolleyes:

I just called and was told 2 weeks from when we interview.

Members don't see this ad :)

Haha that doesn't ease the nerves much.:laugh: Thanks for taking one for the team sithr!

Hmmm well that would mean we would not all be getting decisions.... I was on 9/19...........so 10/3? I guess i'll plan on calling then.

I remember hearing 2 weeks also....and that the week of 9/22-9/28 the committee will not be meeting.

I wish we knew specifically what day the committee meets. O well I guess I'll just need to exercise being patient.

The interview is a half blind interview, in which the interviewers only have your resume and personal statement. They don't have any grades or MCAT score, which is why they don't want you to list your gpa on you resume.
Hope this clears up some of the confusion. Good Luck on the application process its long, hard (and expensive) but on that first day of medical school you will know it was worth all the work (and two weeks later your going say what have it gotten myself into, fire hose education).

I interviewed today. ;)

I like it a lot. My only beef is some of the rotation/preceptor stuff and the tuition. The rest of it was very nice and I could see myself going there. It was a longgggg day though.

I just got my invitation for interview today. I was complete on 9/22 and will interview on 10/14. Anyone else interviewing that day?

I interviewed on 9/19 and called about when they make decisions and the lady told me she doesn't know. I'm going to frequently call back next week bc I want to know asap! advice for interviewers in the future is that they r aggressive interviewers,not as laid back as I thought so be prepared for random ethical and psychological questions. Nothin 2 difficult but just unusual compared to other interviews I have been on. I loved the school, they are my #2 choice of school so far.

I interviewed on 9/19 and called about when they make decisions and the lady told me she doesn't know. I'm going to frequently call back next week bc I want to know asap! advice for interviewers in the future is that they r aggressive interviewers,not as laid back as I thought so be prepared for random ethical and psychological questions. Nothin 2 difficult but just unusual compared to other interviews I have been on. I loved the school, they are my #2 choice of school so far.

Don't be so quick to generalize and spread information that may be misleading.

There are several groups of interviewers on each day, and there are probably many more in the large pool of interviewers they use. So there could be a lot of variance between experiences. That's why it's best to leave feedback in the Interview Feedback section, so invitees can take your advice, along with a lot of other people's--many of whom have had a more laid back experience at AZCOM. Also, perception is a big deal. Some may despise ethical/"psychological" questions, while others may love them, and what you consider to be "aggressive," others may not.

I'm not generalizing my experience, I am comparing them to my other interviews. what have your interviews been like? I have had 3 others that have been typical questions and conversational with a mix of ethical questions that were not so demanding as AZCOM. If I get accepted I would go there in a heartbeat, I'm not complaining. I'm being honest so don't complain please. My friends who go there currently as MS1 students tell me they have a standard list of questions and ask you ethical/psychological questions along with other standard questions like why DO and why medicine. He said the ethical/psycho. questions are to see how you respond under pressure. I'd appreciate if you don't jump on my response if you haven't been there to provide an informed opinion.

You'll know in about a week or two. The committee meets next week supposedly.

My interview was very laid back. There were tricky questions but nothing out of the blue. Everybody had different experiences on my day, so it just depends on the interviewee and the interviewers. It really is a grabbag with interviews. Just do a little research, stay relaxed, and answer as sincerely as possible. It has taken a few tries, but now I go in there with a don't care attitude, and it seems to go much smoother. I laugh with them but I also answer as truthfully as can be.

I'd appreciate if you don't jump on my response if you haven't been there to provide an informed opinion.

I have been there and I left my feedback.

they r aggressive interviewers

I understand that these are merely opinions, but I wanted to qualify that your experience will vary greatly from others'. I wasn't trying to call you out. Sorry if it seemed harsh.

Last edited:
I interviewed on 9/19 and called about when they make decisions and the lady told me she doesn't know. I'm going to frequently call back next week bc I want to know asap!

Keep us updated. I was going to call on Friday but if you find out earlier....... I might have to call. I don't want to annoy them too much so I'll let you light up the phone all next week ;). Goodluck!

I'd say my interview wasn't too bad either. The way I formatted my resume for the secondary helped a bit since they just seemed to focus on my research/activities, which made the interview a lot more personal and conversational. We even got off topic during the talk (good or bad?)

Edidas, I guess it would depend on what you call aggressive. One fellow interviewee was talking about how he put Frisbee golf on his resume as a major sport he was involved in. Apparently, it was a big deal to him, since he was on a team and played in regionals. He told us during lunch about how he had to sort of defend the hobby, but some of us interpreted that the interviewers were just interested in what he had to say about it. I know I would be if you put Frisbee golf on your resume for med school.

They really didn't focus on jack with my resume. Out of the entire list, they focused on one little bullet about being a mentor with big brother/big sister. I have a pretty impressive resume, but I suspect that they don't care about my tech world accomplishments. ;)

Any word yet guys?

Does anyone want to call and find out when the admissions committee is meeting this week?:idea:

Ok so I just called and spoke to a nice woman who told me that the DO committee is meeting this Thursday. Looks like I am calling again on Friday!

They won't be able to tell you Friday. Just because the committee meets, doesn't mean the decision is final. Usually the final decisions are sent to the dean, who eventually signs them within a couple of days. Just chill!

I'm chill. I just want to know. This school is very high on my list!

You are so not gellin.

All of us are curious about certain schools. You're going to find out. Just let them get their work done! ;)

Ok so I just called and spoke to a nice woman who told me that the DO committee is meeting this Thursday. Looks like I am calling again on Friday!

Thanks for the info....I'd love to find out Friday. I'm not chill at all either.

Hey does Anyone know much about AZCOM school schedule? I tried to look at the calendar they gave me at my interview and the thing was a joke, it was impossible to understand. Do they have a Fall and Spring break? how long is it, if they have it?

Hey does Anyone know much about AZCOM school schedule? I tried to look at the calendar they gave me at my interview and the thing was a joke, it was impossible to understand. Do they have a Fall and Spring break? how long is it, if they have it?

It's been a while since I read it, but the catalog should help.

Go to this site: http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/administrative/Registrar/regAZ.htm#Blocks

They have 3 quaters in the year, fall, winter, spring. Click on MS I for fall to see the schedule. By the way, with all the changes that the school has made it would make a lot of sense to be looking into other schools. Changes like student number, rotation, scheduling for boards and patient experience. Take it from me as a 2nd year student, the school was much better before the implementation of the new dean who took over last year. Educationally it is still fine with some good COMLEX scores, 94% pass rate, (in the top 5). The USMLE scores (which aren't required) were actually pretty low. National average was about 220 for the 2008 test takers (most recent data) and ours was 206 with an 85% pass rate. FYI 220 is basically the minimun for any specialty and non-recognition for others like derm or opthalmology.

I am trying to answer "why do you want to go to AZCOM" Q but having a hard time finding any info on their web site. Does any one have some good pointers?
Thanks!

Go to this site: http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/administrative/Registrar/regAZ.htm#Blocks

They have 3 quaters in the year, fall, winter, spring. Click on MS I for fall to see the schedule. By the way, with all the changes that the school has made it would make a lot of sense to be looking into other schools. Changes like student number, rotation, scheduling for boards and patient experience. Take it from me as a 2nd year student, the school was much better before the implementation of the new dean who took over last year. Educationally it is still fine with some good COMLEX scores, 94% pass rate, (in the top 5). The USMLE scores (which aren't required) were actually pretty low. National average was about 220 for the 2008 test takers (most recent data) and ours was 206 with an 85% pass rate. FYI 220 is basically the minimun for any specialty and non-recognition for others like derm or opthalmology.

Do you mind sharing the source of where these numbers came from (a link or anything); I am curious about what the other 4 schools were in terms of "top 5" for COMPLEX/USMLE scores/pass rate.

Thanks!

Can I ask a distant relative (real distant) for a MD letter? I mean their, application instructions say no letter from immediate family but this person is not my immediate family but he is some one who knows me very well.

Hey thanks for the information on the schedule. That helps a ton. So knowing what you now know would you still choice AZCOM? I have to admit AZCOM did an amazing job at my interview at impressing me with their great scores, impressive campus and solid residency placements. I thought for sure this was the school for me, but the more research I do it seems like there still a real good school, but their scores and residency placements are very similar to most D.O schools. Whats your thoughts?

Can I ask a distant relative (real distant) for a MD letter? I mean their, application instructions say no letter from immediate family but this person is not my immediate family but he is some one who knows me very well.

You could anonymously call and ask them to define "immediate." It seems like it might be okay. Do you know the relative in a "clinical" or a "family reunion" sense?

I don't see why not. I got 2 letters from doctors I've only met once (don't know me very well at all). :D

I hope some of us can find out this Friday. Can't believe thats two days away!!!!

Does anybody know when they try to have their class full by? I just called today because I had not heard anything and the admissions lady said my application was on hold... She couldn't tell me what for though, so I am assuming maybe for fall grades? I am wondering if I get my grades in before the first of the year do I still have a chance at being accepted. The same goes for CCOM... when do they fill their class by?

Does anybody know when they try to have their class full by? I just called today because I had not heard anything and the admissions lady said my application was on hold... She couldn't tell me what for though, so I am assuming maybe for fall grades? I am wondering if I get my grades in before the first of the year do I still have a chance at being accepted. The same goes for CCOM... when do they fill their class by?

On hold for what grades? Are you in a post-bacc program? If so, I really hope I don't get put on hold for my grades... they are really going to suck after this quarter :(

Status
Not open for further replies.