Axon Guidance in C. elegans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chausiubao

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been doing work on C. elegans in a neurological genetics screen. One of the phenotypes of my primary "prized" mutation is defective axon guidance. The commissures on my works are quite abnormal.

I have several abnormal phenotypes to compare the axon guidance defects on, but I have no reference with which to compare; ultimately I don't know if its logical or reasonable to tie defective axon guidance to my various phenotypes.

So I was wondering if anyone knew how most axon guidance defects manifested (of even if there was a textbook manifestation of axon guidance defects).

Specifically, my worms experience severe paralysis, abnormal sensitivity to acetylcholinesterase inhibitors, and an inability to lay eggs. I believe these phenotypes are due to excessively long and winding commissures, but how they fail to signal the body wall muscles I have no clue.

Members don't see this ad.

well i can't say that i know much about axon guidance, but I am doing some work that is sort of related. the Eipthelial Sodium channel (ENaC) group of proteins and also Acid Sensing IOn channels (ASICs) are involved in mechanoreception in the c.elegans and are involved in touch reception.
did you make a gene deletion or otherwise alter the genetic makeup of your worms? it's possible that you knocked out another receptor related to muscle action? Sorry not of more help but excited about another c.elegans researcher on here!