AWFUL GRE SCORES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaineyLou

Reaction score
Hey all, I ended up doing much worse on my actual GRE than my practice tests. I studied so hard and had a subscription to Magoosh as well as some GRE prep books. I took two practice tests via ETS. I scored (unofficially) 146 verbal and 152 quant. and haven't received by writing score. I have always been a crappy test taker! I am applying to Wisconsin and Georgia that require the GRE. Wisconsin extended their deadline to November 1st to take the GRE due to COVID. Their ave scores are 157 and 157. Should I retake and hope to do better? What can I do to increase my scores without killing my mental state. I'll also be studying for the CASPer test this month and in September so I don't want to destroy my brain.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I ended up doing much worse on my actual GRE than my practice tests. I studied so hard and had a subscription to Magoosh as well as some GRE prep books. I took two practice tests via ETS. I scored (unofficially) 146 verbal and 152 quant. and haven't received by writing score. I have always been a crappy test taker! I am applying to Wisconsin and Georgia that require the GRE. Wisconsin extended their deadline to November 1st to take the GRE due to COVID. Their ave scores are 157 and 157. Should I retake and hope to do better? What can I do to increase my scores without killing my mental state. I'll also be studying for the CASPer test this month and in September so I don't want to destroy my brain.
From what I’ve seen, the CASPer isn’t really something you can (or need) to study for - it’s a situational decision-making test, and there aren’t really “right” answers. I wouldn’t spend a huge amount of time studying & stressing over it beforehand - take the practice tests & speak to folks directly who have taken it. I believe there’s a thread about it floating around here.

What’s your GPA like? If it’s very good and your experiences/essays/recommendations are stellar, you might be able to get away with those scores, but it’ll make things definitely more difficult. Unless you are in-state to Georgia, they have an incredibly low OOS acceptance rate, so they’re fairly competitive. As for Wisconsin, if you have the ability to take a class (either online or in-person) and then retake the test before the deadline, that could be doable. According to Wisconsin’s OOS invited applicant pool, you would need at least into the solid mid-150s to be competitive there.

Obviously you can make whatever choices feel right to you - I’m applying to a plethora of schools with a low science & mediocre overall GPA - but I might think hard about how badly you want these schools this year, before you shell out a bunch of money & stress over retaking the GREs beforehand!

From what I’ve seen, the CASPer isn’t really something you can (or need) to study for - it’s a situational decision-making test, and there aren’t really “right” answers. I wouldn’t spend a huge amount of time studying & stressing over it beforehand - take the practice tests & speak to folks directly who have taken it. I believe there’s a thread about it floating around here.

What’s your GPA like? If it’s very good and your experiences/essays/recommendations are stellar, you might be able to get away with those scores, but it’ll make things definitely more difficult. Unless you are in-state to Georgia, they have an incredibly low OOS acceptance rate, so they’re fairly competitive. As for Wisconsin, if you have the ability to take a class (either online or in-person) and then retake the test before the deadline, that could be doable. According to Wisconsin’s OOS invited applicant pool, you would need at least into the solid mid-150s to be competitive there.

Obviously you can make whatever choices feel right to you - I’m applying to a plethora of schools with a low science & mediocre overall GPA - but I might think hard about how badly you want these schools this year, before you shell out a bunch of money & stress over retaking the GREs beforehand!

GPA is 3.84, last 45 is 3.94. Around 3000 hrs vet experience with small animal, wildlife/exotics and ER. 1200 ish animal experience. Lots of leadership experiences! Do you think I stand any chance? I’m applying to Michigan State, Purdue, Mizzou, Iowa, Colorado State and Georgia and Wisconsin.

How much higher were your practice tests than your actual?

Your gpa’s are great and you have a good number of vet and animal experience hours. Think I recall that you didn’t get any concrete feedback from file reviews from last year? Have fresh eyes look at your essays and confirm with your references that they are comfortable writing “strong” references.

It’s a gamble for the schools that still require the GRE. If you can afford the application fees and are comfortable with the COA for UGA and Wisco, then proceed with the applications UGA does not interview, so no extra travel cost there.

If you can handle the stress and expense of retaking the GRE, a higher score would be to your benefit for Wisco and UGA. Over the last several years UGA has averaged overall (both IS and OOS) between 310-316.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd be a great applicant for MSU! They don't look at the GRE at all and your other stats are stellar.

Reactions: 1 user
You'd be a great applicant for MSU! They don't look at the GRE at all and your other stats are stellar.

I got rejected last year without an interview and they gave me no feedback... I was heartbroken. I’ve been following MSU and attending their vet stuff (vet a visit and conferences) since I was in elementary school, now Im just not sure about them.

How much higher were your practice tests than your actual?

Your gpa’s are great and you have a good number of vet and animal experience hours. Think I recall that you didn’t get any concrete feedback from file reviews from last year? Have fresh eyes look at your essays and confirm with your references that they are comfortable writing “strong” references.

It’s a gamble for the schools that still require the GRE. If you can afford the application fees and are comfortable with the COA for UGA and Wisco, then proceed with the applications UGA does not interview, so no extra travel cost there.

If you can handle the stress and expense of retaking the GRE, a higher score would be to your benefit for Wisco and UGA. Over the last several years UGA has averaged overall (both IS and OOS) between 310-316.

Best of luck!

My practice was 150 verbal, 152 quant so much better on verbal. I had all my essays looked over and have been rewriting and updating them since the app opened. I’m pretty sure I have strong references, this year I have 5 LOR rather than the 3required

I got rejected last year without an interview and they gave me no feedback... I was heartbroken. I’ve been following MSU and attending their vet stuff (vet a visit and conferences) since I was in elementary school, now Im just not sure about them.
So sorry :( It sucks that MSU doesn't do file reviews anymore. I heard their mass workshop that is supposed to be a general file review is also not very helpful. I think it's worth trying again if you still like the school and see where you can improve your app from last year

So sorry :( It sucks that MSU doesn't do file reviews anymore. I heard their mass workshop that is supposed to be a general file review is also not very helpful. I think it's worth trying again if you still like the school and see where you can improve your app from last year

Hopefully I at least get a chance this year but idk. They’re just a huge school with so many applicants

Hopefully I at least get a chance this year but idk. They’re just a huge school with so many applicants
I think it's worth another shot! I was rejected from all schools my first cycle and it was soul crushing and discouraging. Tried again and somehow got into my top choices. Every application cycle is so different and from what admissions sent out for MSU there were like 2400 applicants this past cycle which is insane

I think it's worth another shot! I was rejected from all schools my first cycle and it was soul crushing and discouraging. Tried again and somehow got into my top choices. Every application cycle is so different and from what admissions sent out for MSU there were like 2400 applicants this past cycle which is insane

Thanks! It makes me feel better knowing you got into your top choices on your second go. I was so worried because I see so many schools have so few 2nd time applicants admitted.

GPA is 3.84, last 45 is 3.94. Around 3000 hrs vet experience with small animal, wildlife/exotics and ER. 1200 ish animal experience. Lots of leadership experiences! Do you think I stand any chance? I’m applying to Michigan State, Purdue, Mizzou, Iowa, Colorado State and Georgia and Wisconsin.
Second year vet student here. You more than simply “stand a chance” as your GPA numbers are great. Additionally, while your GRE might be below average for some schools, it really isn’t that bad at all. And I’ve heard a lot of schools are moving away from GRE entirely as studies are showing the exam isn’t necessarily the most reliable indicator of future academic success.
I think you’re in pretty good shape, for what it’s worth.

Second year vet student here. You more than simply “stand a chance” as your GPA numbers are great. Additionally, while your GRE might be below average for some schools, it really isn’t that bad at all. And I’ve heard a lot of schools are moving away from GRE entirely as studies are showing the exam isn’t necessarily the most reliable indicator of future academic success.
I think you’re in pretty good shape, for what it’s worth.

Thank you! That makes me feel better!