Away rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelsea FC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is having an away rotation ?? I already have 3 PM&R rotation at different institutions at my home program. Would skipping a away rotation be a negative during application season?

Members don't see this ad.

How important is having an away rotation ?? I already have 3 PM&R rotation at different institutions at my home program. Would skipping a away rotation be a negative during application season?

I'm pretty sure that the COVID rates increasing is going to screw you guys...just like it has the past few classes. Last year I believe that residency programs placed a restriction on the number of audition rotations that you can perform. If you have already performed a PM&R rotation at your home program, you simply might not be able to do another audition. So if you don't intend on doing another PM&R audition, you may be on an equal playing field as everyone else that was only able to do one audition.

I'm pretty sure that the COVID rates increasing is going to screw you guys...just like it has the past few classes. Last year I believe that residency programs placed a restriction on the number of audition rotations that you can perform. If you have already performed a PM&R rotation at your home program, you simply might not be able to do another audition. So if you don't intend on doing another PM&R audition, you may be on an equal playing field as everyone else that was only able to do one audition.
So I think alot of programs have a limited number of aways given this cycle and with Delta rising it might be even less. I just keep hearing people saying Its highly recommended that I do one, borderline necessary. Even with my 3 months/rotations of PM&R under my belt. I Kinda dont wanna do one but will bite the bullet if its necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I think alot of programs have a limited number of aways given this cycle and with Delta rising it might be even less. I just keep hearing people saying Its highly recommended that I do one, borderline necessary. Even with my 3 months/rotations of PM&R under my belt. I Kinda dont wanna do one but will bite the bullet if its necessary.
An audition is usually an advantage...but I highly doubt that anyone will see three PM&R rotations as a negative (assuming you got exposure to inpatient and outpatient). You only really miss out on the exposure and the just about guaranteed interview that is the result of the rotation. But everyone is also dealing with limited ability to audition.

Last edited:
An audition is usually an advantage...but I highly doubt that anyone will see three PM&R rotations as a negative (assuming you got exposure to inpatient and outpatient). You only really miss out on the exposure and the just about guaranteed interview that is the result of the rotation. But everyone is also dealing with limited ability to audition.
You think outpatient exposure is important to get??? I always seen people being negged for only outpatient exposure with the wiorry they will hate residency (due to it being mostly inpatient). All my rotations are inpatient as different rehab facilities. THink I should go with a outpatient one or im Gucci ?

You think outpatient exposure is important to get??? I always seen people being negged for only outpatient exposure with the wiorry they will hate residency (due to it being mostly inpatient). All my rotations are inpatient as different rehab facilities. THink I should go with a outpatient one or im Gucci ?
I think that all inpatient is preferable to all outpatient. A mixed of both would be nice...but you should be ok.

Reactions: 1 user