Away Rotation at Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gottschalk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for Andrew. First, I've been reading this forum for about a year and have greatly appreciated all of the info/advice that Andrew has posted--not to mention the amount of time he gives up answering all of our questions. So, thanks Andrew.

Now the real reason I'm posting. I recently set-up an away rotation at U of Iowa with Dr. Oetting in July. I'm very excited and looking forward to the experience. I was wondering if you have any words of wisdom ahead of time about such things as: what to expect, how to prepare, specific reading material, and the real important things like where to stay etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jason M3 University of Illinois

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Gottschalk
Question for Andrew. First, I've been reading this forum for about a year and have greatly appreciated all of the info/advice that Andrew has posted--not to mention the amount of time he gives up answering all of our questions. So, thanks Andrew.

Now the real reason I'm posting. I recently set-up an away rotation at U of Iowa with Dr. Oetting in July. I'm very excited and looking forward to the experience. I was wondering if you have any words of wisdom ahead of time about such things as: what to expect, how to prepare, specific reading material, and the real important things like where to stay etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jason M3 University of Illinois

Jason,

I'm glad to hear that you're coming to Iowa for a rotation in July. Tom Oetting is the head of the VA ophthalmology service, and he is an awesome teacher. You'll likely spend time at the VA. The rotation is very flexible; thus, if you want to spend part of your time at the VA and a part of the time at the University, then you could easily set that up.

I'll be at the VA this summer too; so, we'll likely work together.

Iowa has an excellent program for the medical students. You'll get lectures everyday about each sub-speciality. You can attend the lectures for two weeks (the lectures run in two-week blocks) and/or attend the morning rounds with the department. You'll have the opportunity to present a case at the departmental Morning Rounds. This is a good way to shine in front of the faculty and residents. People remember students who do a great job.

The VA is a great place for you to do a rotation. I recommend that you read this book before starting:

"Practical Ophthalmology, A Manual for Beginning Residents"
Edited by Fred M Wilson II, MD

The book will help you with learning the ophthalmological exam and how to speak the language.

We'll help you with the basic exam, and then let you exam and work-up patients on your own. If you're up to it, then you'll be able to do a lot. On surgical days (Wednesday, Thursday, and Fridays), you can spend time in the OR and see the surgeries. If you get tired of that, then you can work-up patients in the clinic. We see tons of pathology at the VA, so your experience will be diverse. You're also welcome to take call with the residents and see traumas/emergencies.

If you're able to spend time at the University, then you can pick from any of the speciality clinics: neuro-op, plastics, glaucoma, peds, cornea, retina, or general clinic.

I'm not sure where visiting students stay when doing a rotation at Iowa. You can try to e-mail the medical student coordinator at Iowa ([email protected]) and ask about where previous visiting students have stayed.

Good luck and let me know if you need any thing else.

Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely check into the realty sites soon.

Look forward to meeting you this summer.

Jason