Australia: Meningococcal Vaccine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

driedcaribou

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to Australia need this vaccine before you went?

And if you do need it, which specific vaccine do you need?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by driedcaribou
Anyone going to Australia need this vaccine before you went?

And if you do need it, which specific vaccine do you need?

I don't think Australia requires any vaccines at all (at least not for N. Americans, not sure otherwise). The schools require vaccines, but these can generally be done once you get there (and meningococcal ain't one of them). They'll want the standards -- hep, polio, MMR, DTP, BCG, I think smallpox too.

-pitman

Originally posted by pitman
I don't think Australia requires any vaccines at all (at least not for N. Americans, not sure otherwise). The schools require vaccines, but these can generally be done once you get there (and meningococcal ain't one of them). They'll want the standards -- hep, polio, MMR, DTP, BCG, I think smallpox too.

-pitman

It's not a requirement but i would advise u to get it. it's about $70 but u can get about $20 with ur private insurance. there was a outbreak here last year. The vaccine only protects u against the C strain (as far as i remember).

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by redshifteffect
It's not a requirement but i would advise u to get it. it's about $70 but u can get about $20 with ur private insurance. there was a outbreak here last year. The vaccine only protects u against the C strain (as far as i remember).

Is the Health Insurance the school makes us buy considered private insurance then?

Because that vaccine is very expensive to get in Canada.
I wanted to get as many vaccinations done here before I go because the prices in Sydney seem pretty expensive for everything else so I figured vaccinations would be pricey too.

Pitman: Sorry, I implied the schools because this is a medical school forum.

The reason I asked about the meningococcal one is because one of my forms says that I need it but the other forms don't.

I called around NSW and no one has any idea what is going on.

Did they give you guys a card to fill out?

I was unaware there was an effective commercial vaccine for strain C. Are you sure RSE? The last I heard they were still doing 'large scale human trials'* in Auckland

* I speak english, not pharmacology ;)

Originally posted by Purifyer
I was unaware there was an effective commercial vaccine for strain C. Are you sure RSE? The last I heard they were still doing 'large scale human trials'* in Auckland

* I speak english, not pharmacology ;)

I did end up getting it...but i'm not sure it was C (I was just guessing)...as i said there are a couple of different strains...but they do have a vaccine out...lol maybe u kiwis will get it in another year or so ;)

Is the Health Insurance the school makes us buy considered private insurance then?

Because that vaccine is very expensive to get in Canada.
I wanted to get as many vaccinations done here before I go because the prices in Sydney seem pretty expensive for everything else so I figured vaccinations would be pricey too.

The reason I asked about the meningococcal one is because one of my forms says that I need it but the other forms don't.

I called around NSW and no one has any idea what is going on.

Did they give you guys a card to fill out?

yes u do have to get private insurance..im not sure what private company u r using, but i had medibank private. u have to get it as a condition of ur visa...but i didn't know that so i let mine expire last year. It costs about $300 aussie to renew each year. The way it works is that u pay cash for whatever u need to do and then they reimburse u. the easiest way to get ur money back is to visit their office and then just claim the money on the spot..that way they give u cash.

$70 -20 = $50 aussie isn't that bad. But yeah get the rest of ur vaccinations back home. (ie all ur booster shots)...if u can.

No prob, just figured the different answers would be important to know for both Australian student visa requirements (to get in), and particular school requirements (to attend, once there).

Fortunately I had mine in 1970 shortly before the US stopped giving them :)

Hey, Pill Counter, on break? I'm arriving Monday, will be in International House until I find me a house (hopefully with pool ;) Is there a board on campus for posting vacancies, roommates wanted, etc? Cus the online med school society forums are DEAD.

-pitman

dude, not on any break, I write Step 1 next friday, so living at my desk right now. I'm back in Brisbane for a few days at the end of the month before I head off for my rural clerkship in western Queensland. Go to the uni housing office for postings, there'll be several - it's best to live in St. Lucia close to the uni in first year, then move near the hospitals in second year.

I did end up getting it...but i'm not sure it was C (I was just guessing)...as i said there are a couple of different strains...but they do have a vaccine out...lol maybe u kiwis will get it in another year or so ;)

You're in TASMANIA and mocking NZ for being backward?????;)

"as I said there are a couple of different strains" - no faecal matter RSE... The C strain has been virtually impossible to vaccinate against because it cross reacts with fetal CNS self-antigen if I'm not mistaken.

Right now I think they're still in stage IV trials.

Originally posted by The Pill Counter
dude, not on any break, I write Step 1 next friday, so living at my desk right now.

Are you talking about the USMLE?

I'm assuming you're writing Step 1 during your 3rd year right?

What study materials did you buy for that?

Originally posted by Purifyer
You're in TASMANIA and mocking NZ for being backward?????;)

"as I said there are a couple of different strains" - no faecal matter RSE... The C strain has been virtually impossible to vaccinate against because it cross reacts with fetal CNS self-antigen if I'm not mistaken.

Right now I think they're still in stage IV trials.

LOL calm down dude....

anyway which strain are they vaccinating against?

http://immunise.health.gov.au/meningoc.htm

Originally posted by The Pill Counter
dude, not on any break, I write Step 1 next friday, so living at my desk right now. I'm back in Brisbane for a few days at the end of the month before I head off for my rural clerkship in western Queensland. Go to the uni housing office for postings, there'll be several - it's best to live in St. Lucia close to the uni in first year, then move near the hospitals in second year.

SOrry to bug ya in the middle of your step 1 prep, last question i promise..will owe you a double!

I'm not too keen to keep changing houses (I'm bringing a container of stuff), and finding an adequate place may be hard is restricted to St Lucia -- are you saying that most first-years live in St. Lucia, or just that it's more convenient? I'll also have a vehicle...are students spread out all over, or clustered near St Lucia, Herston, etc.?

-pitman

If you've got a vehicle, then anywhere you like. I'd recommend some place cool like Tenerife (a lot of renovated old wool factory buildings into cool, higher-end rentals and condos).
The majority of students are from the Brisbane area, so most commute, in that sense you won't be out of place. There's many, many neigbourhoods anywhere from ten to thirty minutes drive, best bet is just explore and talk to people when you get there.