August 99 MCAT and Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tigger Tiger

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread on this. When you get your invite, please post when and where (also when your application was complete). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that a lot of people over on the PR board say it won't be till January before I'll get an interview. Now, I know this is a difficult question, but does anyone know how many spots a school fills before the new year?

i.e. am I at a serious disadvantage for interviewing so late?

You're at a disadvantage, but depending on the school, it may not be that large. I know many people who obtained admission last year to some HIGH quality schools -- Yale, Harvard, Penn, etc. after taking the August MCAT and interviewing in Jan/Feb/March. I wouldn't worry about anything right now. Rolling admission schools might be a problem for you, because a lot of them have already written and received letters of intent sufficeth to fill their entering class. Although you'll most likely be competing for spots on waitlists at most of the schools you might interview at, be thankful if you get any interviews. Some people I know who took the April MCAT and applied in June haven't scored any yet.

The way I see it, from now until the end of December is a crucial time for you -- if you get interview offers in that time span, you're in ok shape...if not, time to actualize that contingency plan...

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Gadfrog (edited 11-15-1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I know waiting is hard....You could hear from the schools you applied to anytime from now until March I think...I had my first interview in Feb. and my last in March...and I still managed to get in. I have a friend at Stanford who interviewed even later and he got into Michigan and Stanford. If you get wait-listed it might go slow until May 15. After May 15, people holding more than one acceptance must decide on one school so spots open up and things start to move for people on the waitlists. Remember that schools accept way more students than they have spots for because many students get multiple acceptances. It's also not unheard of to be admitted a week or a day before classes start in the fall. So be patient...when you get interviews...relax and be yourself. The school is interested in you...they believe you are academically qualified...they just want to see what kind of person you are. Good luck.

I recieved my FIRST invite for an interview yesterday via phone. Its my state school with REALLY high stats. Im very nervous and excited since my stats are not great, but my background is impressive. (see the post under "chances") I did not every expect to get an interview at all. For me, this is the biggest blessing of them all. I have no expectations. After what I have experienced, I am grateful to have come even this for.. and trust me, its a dream come true for me to just be selected for interview!!

My interview is scheduled for med December. I was an August MCAT taker. I hope my earlier interview is a good sign.. but who knows!

I wish you all the best of luck. Please email me if you wold like to speak more personally.

Thanks,
poet

hi poet,
i tried to check the messages under 'chances' but i didn't see you name on the list.
are you freddy23? can u provide me with more of your academic/mcat info? or you can email to me at [email protected]

thanks, by the way, congratulation on receving your interview. i'm sure you can do well.