Attending medical school in Mexico?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi,
I am thinking of applying to the Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara Medical School in Guadalajara, Mexico and I’m curious if anyone knew anything about this institution?

Would I need to be fluent in Spanish prior to enrolling?

Where exactly would I live?

Would I need to become a Mexican citizen?

Any advice would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

n=1, I know someone who went there and graduated a few years ago and did not match anywhere 2-years in a row. No idea what they are doing now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Old childhood acquaintance is currently a 3rd year at UAG, doing his 3rd year rotations in either I think Arizona or Nevada. He's a native Spanish speaker and US citizen (can't speak to your citizenship question sorry) but from what he's told me a while ago, there were other students who didn't speak it when starting, but picked it up along the way--it'd probably be good to work on your fluency beforehand though. He rented out an apartment in Guadalajara for the first two years, then moved back to the states for clinical rotations set up by the school.

If I may give my unsolicited opinion though, if you're planning on practicing in the US, I'd strongly strongly recommend trying to improve your app to compete for a US MD/DO spot (assuming the competitiveness in the US is what's driving you to consider UAG). I've seen stats (from the NRMP I think?) that break down how many US citizens abroad are able to match into the US by country and if I remember correctly the numbers for US citizens in Mexico were rather low, like 50%ish. Also as a general rule of thumb for going abroad, the door may be closed to more competitive specialties and residency programs.

I'm not sure of your particular situation though so you gotta do what's best for you. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I am thinking of applying to the Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara Medical School in Guadalajara, Mexico and I’m curious if anyone knew anything about this institution?

Would I need to be fluent in Spanish prior to enrolling?

Where exactly would I live?

Would I need to become a Mexican citizen?

Any advice would be helpful.

Program is pretty straight forward, get through your first 2 years of lecutres, PBL( Problem Based Learning), and Clincal Class, and then you can rotate in the US your last 2 years or do on of your last 2 years in Mexico and the last one in the US.

Becoming fluent in Spanish? It is a matter of getting out of it what you want, personally it is a great idea to become somewhat fluent due to high latin population in the US ( I am assuming you want to go back to US to practice medicine), and also my personal advice if I am doctor looking at your residency application and I give you an interview and ask you how much Spanish did you learn after living in Mexico ( native spanish speaking country) I would take into account your response and also quiz you ( I am fluent in English/Spanish).

I am current student UAG you don't need to become citizen you just need your Visa which you can get at your nearby consulat.

Most people like to live walking distance from the school because well it avoids the trouble of long comute and having to think about riding a bus in this city, I hardly recommend you DON'T do it. I kid you not most people live a 3US dollar uber ride from the school and usually takes about 5-10 min depends on traffic.

Hope it helps and best of luck!