ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have been accepted to SOMA. :) This is my first med school acceptance, and I can't say how nice it feels to know that I am going to be a med student this year. (The stress of having no acceptances is BRUTAL.) I may also hear back from Midwestern-AZCOM this week, so I can only hope to have some decisions to make!

I interviewed on Jan 26th, so for those who also interviewed on that day, you should hopefully be hearing back from the school soon! Good luck!:luck:

Congrats, by the way, on the SOMA acceptance!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats, by the way, on the SOMA acceptance!

Thanks so much, Bruce!! My head is still swirling after hearing about my acceptance.... I can't believe I am actually going to be a medical student! I've been dreaming of this for over 6 years now... :banana:

To those still waiting (esp. those waiting on their first acceptance)... please take heart. I know this wait is excruciating... but it will be over soon, thank goodness.

IMO, the choice between AZCOM and SOMA is no decision at all... What do you see as some of the strengths at AZCOM?

Both AZCOM and SOMA seem to have strong selling points. AZCOM has a reputation high passing board scores and students matching into great residencies. Although SOMA doesn't have a graduating class yet (or even a class who has taken boards), things seem very promising at SOMA. IN FACT, we were told during my SOMA interview day that the 'clinical presentation' model that SOMA uses has been shown (from implementation in Canadian schools) to be great for helping students remember information - which may very likely translate to high board scores. So the curriculum is a definite plus of SOMA. I need to check to see what board prep options both schools offer.

One major disadvantage of AZCOM is the competition for quality clinical rotations and that students have little choice in where they get assigned. I don't have enough information on SOMA's 3rd/4th year clinical rotations yet, but I will contact the Assistant Dean to find out more about this, as they are still in the process of setting things up for the 3rd/4th year students. I just want to find out if the hospitals affiliated with the CHC's are quality teaching hospitals. So I still have a bit of research to do to get my questions answered.... but I am truly excited about my SOMA acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rkaz, do you mind posting what you find about the 3rd/4th year on this thread? I think we are in a very similar boat here.

One of the major disadvantages for me at SOMA is the lack of research opportunities, which AZCOM has plenty of. But in terms of better "fit" for me I think I would be happier at SOMA, so this is going to be a really tough decision.

Hey guys, I have been accepted to SOMA. :) This is my first med school acceptance, and I can't say how nice it feels to know that I am going to be a med student this year. (The stress of having no acceptances is BRUTAL.) I may also hear back from Midwestern-AZCOM this week, so I can only hope to have some decisions to make!

I interviewed on Jan 26th, so for those who also interviewed on that day, you should hopefully be hearing back from the school soon! Good luck!:luck:

Hi rkaz, did you interview in the morning or afternoon group?

Hi rkaz, did you interview in the morning or afternoon group?

I interviewed in the afternoon of Jan 26th. I actually got a call from the admissions office on Friday afternoon, but I wasn't around, so I just got a message to call the office back. I was definitely in suspense over the weekend wondering what the call was about... though I figured she must have just needed some clarification on something in my file. So I called this morning, and was stunned to find out the good news about my acceptance. I am very surprised that a decision on my file was made within 4 days, as that is exceedingly quick. Typically, most decisions take about 2 weeks or so.

If anyone else also interviewed on the 26th but hasn't heard back yet, don't stress too much. I heard that the committee was also reviewing files from the Friday before and Monday morning, so they may not have gotten to all the applications... I was told that the admissions committee meets on Wednesdays and may not get through all the files, as they had a lot of files to review last week. I may have just gotten very lucky that they got to mine so soon... of course, I am just speculating here.

I interviewed in the afternoon of Jan 26th. I actually got a call from the admissions office on Friday afternoon, but I wasn't around, so I just got a message to call the office back. I was definitely in suspense over the weekend wondering what the call was about... though I figured she must have just needed some clarification on something in my file. So I called this morning, and was stunned to find out the good news about my acceptance. I am very surprised that a decision on my file was made within 4 days, as that is exceedingly quick. Typically, most decisions take about 2 weeks or so.

If anyone else also interviewed on the 26th but hasn't heard back yet, don't stress too much. I heard that the committee was also reviewing files from the Friday before and Monday morning, so they may not have gotten to all the applications... I was told that the admissions committee meets on Wednesdays and may not get through all the files, as they had a lot of files to review last week. I may have just gotten very lucky that they got to mine so soon... of course, I am just speculating here.

Yeah, kinda bummed, since I was in the morning group the same day. Ugh...

I interviewed on the 30th and am so antsy as to whether my application will come up this Wednesday or if i will have to wait another week ..... yes i know I'm impatient :laugh:

i interviewed Jan 26th afternoon as well, but the admissions coordinator said that they haven't looked at my app yet. so i guess they'll be reviewing tomm! congrats to rkaz though!

i interviewed Jan 26th afternoon as well, but the admissions coordinator said that they haven't looked at my app yet. so i guess they'll be reviewing tomm! congrats to rkaz though!
has anyone heard back those who interviewed on jan 26?

Just got an interview invite, I think I'll schedule for Feb 16th since I have the day off already. Any advice for me? Also, I think I read somewhere that your deposit is refundable up to 30 days after the due date, is that true? I am trying to time my interviews so I don't have to pay too many deposits before I have all of them done...

Members don't see this ad :)
I withdrew my acceptance today. Hope someone I interviewed with back in Dec gets my spot -- I met so many wonderful people that day. Good luck.

I withdrew my acceptance today. Hope someone I interviewed with back in Dec gets my spot -- I met so many wonderful people that day. Good luck.

Renny, good luck wherever you end up! As for me, my heart broke a little bit when I saw this post, never to be made whole again.

Aww Bruce!! haha. Yeah, I was also very sad about withdrawing; I know that question of "what if?" will always be in the back of my mind... good luck at SOMA, and I look forward to seeing what happens with the school.

I interviewed with you and I HOPE I get your spot!!!

i just sent in my application last week. i hope to hear from the school about an interview. when does the interview season end for SOMA?

Has anyone heard back yet from interviewing on Jan 26th? I know rkaz heard back...

I interviewed on the 30th and haven't heard back yet .... but might be too soon for my group.

I'm in!! I just got the call an hour ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):):):):):):):):):)

wow......this process is funny....i got two rejects and one waitlist prior to this and it just makes me so much more thankful of this acceptance. plus, i really wanted to go to this school so all the better! to those who are waiting...don't give up. this process is definitely emotional and exhausting, but after three years of working my butt off, i'm glad that i can move onto the next step. don't give up! never give up!

thanks bruce! are you set on going to soma? have you made your deposit?

Hello everyone!
I got a call about two hours ago, but I wasnt able to catch it and went to my voicemail. I called back right away and had no answer so I left a voicemail.
The minutes are moving so slowly!...should I call back again?...I really want to know if I was admitted!...would I look weird if I call back again? :confused:

Hello everyone!
I got a call about two hours ago, but I wasnt able to catch it and went to my voicemail. I called back right away and had no answer so I left a voicemail.
The minutes are moving so slowly!...should I call back again?...I really want to know if I was admitted!...would I look weird if I call back again? :confused:

i'm pretty sure you got in if you got a call! they only call if you get in, but yes, definitely call again! it's not weird and they want to tell you. :) who did you call?

i'm pretty sure you got in if you got a call! they only call if you get in, but yes, definitely call again! it's not weird and they want to tell you. :) who did you call?
I hope you're right dangit!
I'll call again :)

Hi everyone!
I was accepted! I just talked to my admissions counselor at ATSU and gave me the good news!
WOOHOOO!!!!!!! I totally fell in love with this school, so I am beyond excited! :love:

Congrats to everyone who got in! Nice to see the excitement with our incoming class. :thumbup:

As for me, I'm looking into the visalia CHC or the CHC's in AZ. Anyone get information on the laptops? I'm really hoping they post the class calendar soon!

grrrr so i just found out yesterday that i was wait listed :(, i saw back when Cargill (i think?) posted that you are put in high, medium, and low groups, however if you call Joyce will she tell you which group you are in and if there is anything you can do to get off the alternate list? Does anyone know when they start re-evaluating us and **if** they would make an offer of acceptance?

I'm bummed as i really liked the school, although i think my bf is relieved (even though he wants to move back to AZ) that we don't have to move across the country as i got into some schools by me here in PA....

That's another thing, i love AZ and see myself practicing there, however, the only issue is that the bf will be supporting us and he has a very stable job and is nervous to move and not be able to find a new job out there, which i totally get. He wants me to try to get a residency out in AZ and stay in PA for med school....i feel bad making him move, but, i liked SOMA so much better then the school near me.... Anyone else confronted by this??

I am sorry, i just kinda vented/dumped on everyone - i was really hoping for SOMA and just a little down....anyone have any more advice for the alternates??

grrrr so i just found out yesterday that i was wait listed :(, i saw back when Cargill (i think?) posted that you are put in high, medium, and low groups, however if you call Joyce will she tell you which group you are in and if there is anything you can do to get off the alternate list? Does anyone know when they start re-evaluating us and **if** they would make an offer of acceptance?

I'm bummed as i really liked the school, although i think my bf is relieved (even though he wants to move back to AZ) that we don't have to move across the country as i got into some schools by me here in PA....

That's another thing, i love AZ and see myself practicing there, however, the only issue is that the bf will be supporting us and he has a very stable job and is nervous to move and not be able to find a new job out there, which i totally get. He wants me to try to get a residency out in AZ and stay in PA for med school....i feel bad making him move, but, i liked SOMA so much better then the school near me.... Anyone else confronted by this??

I am sorry, i just kinda vented/dumped on everyone - i was really hoping for SOMA and just a little down....anyone have any more advice for the alternates??

I can't help you about the moving issue, but with the waitlist issue... call Joyce and find out which group you are in (high medium or low). She said high group people are already being accepted and medium should expect to be re-reviewed in march/april. Also she said the last 2 years all high and medium people were accepted (didn't ask about low b/c I'm in medium). hope this helps

I can't help you about the moving issue, but with the waitlist issue... call Joyce and find out which group you are in (high medium or low). She said high group people are already being accepted and medium should expect to be re-reviewed in march/april. Also she said the last 2 years all high and medium people were accepted (didn't ask about low b/c I'm in medium). hope this helps

Thanks - Actually that helps a lot!!

Congrats to Dangit and Doctorsita on your acceptances!!!

For those still waiting, I just wanted to let you know that I declined my offer of acceptance today. So that's another spot up for grabs. I really hope the spot goes to another deserving applicant.

Good luck to you Nerds, I really hope things work out! :luck:

I got a call from Melissa last Friday afternoon! I almost didn't get it because I was in the middle of washing dishes and let the answering machine pick up. But I'm glad I got to the phone before she left a message!!

I'm so excited!!!

Thanks!

I wish I would have started posting on SDN sooner so I would know more people, but I guess we'll all meet soon enough!

hello all, I found out the other day that i am on the waitlist here. Was hoping for an acceptance, but this is better then a No! I called and they said i am on the high end of the medium group. She said they went through almost their entire waitlist last year, so this sounds like good news, but i was wondering if anyone had any input on my chances here. I have been accepted to AZCOM, and have to let them know if i am going to attend by 3/6. I really want to go to SOMA, as it is my first choice, but have a hard time saying no to AZCOM when i don't have an official acceptance from SOMA. Any advise is helpful!

Thanks!

hello all, I found out the other day that i am on the waitlist here. Was hoping for an acceptance, but this is better then a No! I called and they said i am on the high end of the medium group. She said they went through almost their entire waitlist last year, so this sounds like good news, but i was wondering if anyone had any input on my chances here. I have been accepted to AZCOM, and have to let them know if i am going to attend by 3/6. I really want to go to SOMA, as it is my first choice, but have a hard time saying no to AZCOM when i don't have an official acceptance from SOMA. Any advise is helpful!

Thanks!

I will suggest that you call Joyce and let her know of your situation. If SOMA is truly your #1 choice, then by all mean let her know. Make sure you be genuine about it.

Thanks!

I spoke with Joyce yesterday and she said that there are 5 more people on the high group of the alternate list. However, there is not a rank in the groups, so even if they said you were on the high end of the medium group there is no official rank and the whole group will be reviewed. She also said the medium group will be re-reviewed in March (didn't say when in Mar). Hope this helps

Thanks!

Yeah, pay the deposit at AZCOM, because you want to be a doctor. Then, when you get accepted to SOMA, give up the cash from AZCOM because you want to be a totally awesome doctor.

I'm serious. But in addition to that, I would also read the contract that AZCOM gave you, as they will sometimes give refunds before 30 days has passed when you paid the deposit. Good luck.

I had my interview on Monday, hopefully I hear something back soon cuz I really liked the school!

I interview last Friday and I just (about 10 minutes ago) got a call to inform me that I have been accepted. I actually live in Arizona so this is great. However, I must decide between SOMA, KCOM, KCUMB, and DMU. What do you guys think distinctively makes this such a great school. I am just a little scared to go here because they have not taken the boards yet and who knows how their match will be. Please, let me know because I would really like to stay in Arizona. Thanks!

P.S. I also have an interview at WVSOM and Touro –CA. If you were me would you even go to these interviews if you have already been accepted to the above? Thanks again!

P.S. I also have an interview at WVSOM and Touro –CA. If you were me would you even go to these interviews if you have already been accepted to the above? Thanks again!

No, unless you could afford more travel expenses and all of those deposits. Congrats on your multiple acceptances!

No, unless you could afford more travel expenses and all of those deposits. Congrats on your multiple acceptances!

Ditto on the extra interviews. Unless you really really want to go to one of those schools, don't go. I acutally didn't go to my TUCOM-CA and Touro- NY interviews cause I had already been accepted.

Hi Everyone!

So i just had my SOMA interview on Friday and have to say i LOVE IT!! It is my number one choice hands down!!! However i have a few questions that maybe the lurking 1st or 2nd years could answer about years 2 - 4. The Dean ran out of time and said he couldn't take any questions - however i plan on emailing him!

* Is the school testing your rotations with shelf exams?

* Is the school using anything for board review?? Are they subscribing to Q bank or offering any study materials?

* During your 4th year, are the electives the only ones you can do anything you want, anywhere you want for audition rotations, or as long as you stay in AZ can you do that with your selectives?? The Dean made a comment how audition rotations were a "waste of time" and i wanted to ask if that meant we cant do them, but, he didn't have time for questions :(

Thanks so much! I cant wait the 3-4 weeks to find out if i get in !! :)

Yes, we are getting tested with shelf exams for our rotations.

The school required us to get Kaplan for board review. At my CHC (Portland) we have set aside class time for us to do board review, and of course are encouraged to study on our own. We have access to Qbank, their Integrated Clinical Vignettes bank, and their Physiology Qbank. We are also taking a practice boards test in April, required by the school.

We can do "audition rotations" whenever we have elective time. We have 10 weeks of electives in Y3, and 12 weeks in Y4. They're still tweaking the requirements it seems so it might change a tiny bit before we start in July.

Status
Not open for further replies.