ATSU Missouri volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenna1999_

Reaction score
Hi guys. how many volunteering hours are ATSU schools looking for, I know they are heavy on community service. is 340 good?

Members don't see this ad.

Could you break it down?
It's actually quite a few different things, volunteered in a dental clinic for the underserved, tutored kids in a underserved area, helped distribute food to those in need, volunteered overseas, organized a opportunity where I raised necessities for those I need, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
It's actually quite a few different things, volunteered in a dental clinic for the underserved, tutored kids in a underserved area, helped distribute food to those in need, volunteered overseas, organized a opportunity where I raised necessities for those I need, etc
Hours, not projected?

you'll be fine...

Hours per activity
Sure, here it is! I live in metroDetroit, so many great things to get involved in:

-Organized a sock drive to support those in need (not sure if this counts toward my hours as this was apart of my role (VP) of a club, but I have 30 hours down for that club)
-camp counselor for children in underserved , teaching them the importance of oral hygiene, how to write read math etc: 30 hours
-Community volunteer leader (red cross), and blood donor ambassador. 115 hours
-Food banks for underserved! 32 hours
-Volunteered in hospital, providing patient support. 108 hours
-Tutored students in Detroit as well, 18 hours
- Volunteered overseas in a medical clinic helping with vaccinations, promoted and educated individuals about available vaccinations by distributing fliers and putting up posters around town. 24 hours
-free dental clinic for underserved: 12 hours

Sure, here it is! I live in metroDetroit, so many great things to get involved in:

-Organized a sock drive to support those in need (not sure if this counts toward my hours as this was apart of my role (VP) of a club, but I have 30 hours down for that club)
-camp counselor for children in underserved , teaching them the importance of oral hygiene, how to write read math etc: 30 hours
-Community volunteer leader (red cross), and blood donor ambassador. 115 hours
-Food banks for underserved! 32 hours
-Volunteered in hospital, providing patient support. 108 hours
-Tutored students in Detroit as well, 18 hours
- Volunteered overseas in a medical clinic helping with vaccinations, promoted and educated individuals about available vaccinations by distributing fliers and putting up posters around town. 24 hours
-free dental clinic for underserved: 12 hours
Thanks. I think you are fine. Most applicants don't have more than 100 volunteering hours. We will see how well received the variety is. The challenge is that you have a lot of activities under 50 hours, so it's hard for me to tell if the number of different experiences will work, compared to showing commitment.

Thanks. I think you are fine. Most applicants don't have more than 100 volunteering hours. We will see how well received the variety is. The challenge is that you have a lot of activities under 50 hours, so it's hard for me to tell if the number of different experiences will work, compared to showing commitment.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! I will be continuing to volunteer throughout the year, as it is my gap year. Do you know at what number of hours it doesn't make much of a difference anymore to admissions? Like getting 400 vs 600?

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! I will be continuing to volunteer throughout the year, as it is my gap year. Do you know at what number of hours it doesn't make much of a difference anymore to admissions? Like getting 400 vs 600?
As a dental school applicant, getting to 100 to 150 hours is a good number to have. I wanted to make sure if you had lots of short term experiences or a few experiences with more hours.

In Medical school admissions, 150 is a threshold to avoid getting screened out, but some service oriented schools want at least 300. Some even more. I don't think ATSU is that hard-core with their service expectations. Once you get above threshold, quality comes into play. What lessons did you learn in this activity that impact the way you listen to patients and their concerns in developing a treatment plan?

Pay attention to the environments they put thru students in for community dentistry and see how many of your activities are similar. They all work with underserved people, so it is a question of the clinical environments and some of the SDH issues they face (which we cover with Becoming a Student Doctor).