Medical Ask Me Anything about the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inGenius Prep

Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious about how your MCAT score affects your application? Ask us anything surrounding the MCAT and medical school admissions!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as preparing goes, I have a few questions:

1. How long would you say is sufficient enough for studying for the MCAT if you're still in school and/or working full-time? Or is it just better to wait until not having those additional tasks?

2. Is there a break down of the material on the MCAT, such as how much physics to expect, the scoring, etc.?

3. I've heard doctors I've interviewed say that we "have it harder" with the new MCAT. Could you elaborate on what they meant?

4. Not that I am planning on scoring poorly, but what should I shoot for, as far as lowest scores?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all! Here are our responses. @stonestang

1. How long would you say is sufficient enough for studying for the MCAT if you're still in school and/or working full-time? Or is it just better to wait until not having those additional tasks?
This mostly depends on your time management. If you think that you will be able to study at nights after your school/job, then it will probably take longer to reach your target score. If you are able to only focus on studying for the MCAT, then it will probably take a shorter amount of time to prepare. That being said, your score isn’t everything, and you want to make sure you’re also active and engaged in the medical community around you during that time. Overall, there is no specific formula because every student is different in their studying habits. I would say though, that starting early is never a bad thing. Very few students feel over prepared going into this test, so setting up a long timeline is key.

2. Is there a break down of the material on the MCAT, such as how much physics to expect, the scoring, etc.?
There is more biochemistry on the exam than general chemistry, organic chemistry, or physics. The MCAT covers two semesters of physics and one semester of biochemistry, but there are twice as many biochemistry questions as physics questions. For more information, here is a blog from our partners at Magoosh that gives a breakdown on the new MCAT: The New MCAT: Top 5 Things to Know

3. I've heard doctors I've interviewed say that we "have it harder" with the new MCAT. Could you elaborate on what they meant?
The new MCAT does have a new section, new content, and a new passage style. It’s not necessarily that the new MCAT is “harder”. The test has just developed in a way to hopefully address changes in medicine. The new section created by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is about the Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations on Behavior. This was created because AAMC felt that just knowing the science involved in being a doctor wasn’t enough. This section is supposed to increase students knowledge on different social determinants surrounding medicine, hopefully creating a more well-rounded doctor who understands people. Here is an article from Magoosh explaining the Top 5 things to know about the new MCAT: The New MCAT: Top 5 Things to Know.

4. Not that I am planning on scoring poorly, but what should I shoot for, as far as lowest scores?
Setting realistic targets for yourself is extremely important. In a very general sense, if you want to get your foot in the door at a med school, aiming for a 510-515 is key. Above a 515 puts you in a pretty solid spot at most schools - especially if your GPA and experiences can complement a strong score. If you don’t get the score you were hoping for, there are ways to combat this in your AMCAS application. Check out this article for more information. 4 Ways to Address a Low MCAT Score on Your AMCAS Application - Student Doctor Network

Thank you very much for answering my questions! I really appreciate it!

Thank you very much for answering my questions! I really appreciate it!
You asked some great questions and we received some great answers! I second that, thank you!

Reactions: 1 users