Technology Ask any computer tech support question here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mshheaddoc said:
Is there a way to get your Outlook 2000 to your Palm? I can't figure it out :(

Yes, definitely. I don't know what model Palm you have (see! This information matters!) but when you install the Palm Desktop software off the CD, it gives you the option of either synchonizing with Palm Desktop software or Microsoft Outlook. Either get the CD and reinstall it or read this:

http://www.palmone.com/us/software/desktop/

Make sure you get the right version.

"Palm Desktop 4.1.4 synchronizes with Palm Tungsten series, Palm Zire series, Palm i700 series, Palm m500 series, Palm m100 series, Palm VII series, Palm V series, Palm III series and PalmPilot handhelds."

------
Edit: I'm assuming that you mean you want to transfer between Outlook (on your computer) and your PDA, not between Outlook (on your computer) and Palm Desktop (also on your computer), because I'm not sure if this is possible. It probably is, but you'd have to import/export.

Members don't see this ad.

U4iA said:
Alright.. I have a 200gb western digital that runs through an ultra ATA controller card to overcome the 137gb limitation of windows.. for some reason, it needs to be the master drive.. i don't know how to get around this because I need to use the controller card to use the drive.. this is a problem because the boot sector is messed up so i can't access any of my files.. i have another drive (20gb) that i am using as a master going directly to my motherboard...

any suggestions on how to get the files off the 200gb drive? i have about 140gb that i can't really afford to lose...

thanks in advance..
-u4ia

I am running WinXP. I'm pretty sure this drive NEEDS to be a master in order to work properly. The dual master idea sounds promising. Thanks for the advice; it seems like an obvious solution, but it hadn't occured to me. I'll try it out and post the results.

Thanks again!

Dallenoff said:
Yes, definitely. I don't know what model Palm you have (see! This information matters!) but when you install the Palm Desktop software off the CD, it gives you the option of either synchonizing with Palm Desktop software or Microsoft Outlook. Either get the CD and reinstall it or read this:

http://www.palmone.com/us/software/desktop/

Make sure you get the right version.

"Palm Desktop 4.1.4 synchronizes with Palm Tungsten series, Palm Zire series, Palm i700 series, Palm m500 series, Palm m100 series, Palm VII series, Palm V series, Palm III series and PalmPilot handhelds."

------
Edit: I'm assuming that you mean you want to transfer between Outlook (on your computer) and your PDA, not between Outlook (on your computer) and Palm Desktop (also on your computer), because I'm not sure if this is possible. It probably is, but you'd have to import/export.

are you talking about being able to READ email on your palm or to send/receive through outlook?

Members don't see this ad :)
mward04 said:
are you talking about being able to READ email on your palm or to send/receive through outlook?
oh crap, I forgot Outlook was also an e-mail program. :oops: I was talking about synchronizing the Contacts between Outlook and a PDA.

But yes, it's also definitely possible to read e-mail on your PDA from Outlook or Eudora or other mail programs. Something about adjusting MAPI settings.

How do you put a bigger avatar? When I try it limits me to 75x75 pixel only, while some people have these huge ones.

Long Dong said:
How do you put a bigger avatar? When I try it limits me to 75x75 pixel only, while some people have these huge ones.

you gots to pay the $$ for it

How can I open .pdf files in mozilla firefox? I ended up removing the pdf file type under options when what I really needed was to select something to open with. How do I fix this? This is so damn frustrating. RAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

Dr Dean said:
How can I open .pdf files in mozilla firefox? I ended up removing the pdf file type under options when what I really needed was to select something to open with. How do I fix this? This is so damn frustrating. RAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

Reinstall acrobat reader

flighterdoc said:
Reinstall acrobat reader

I did, but how do you make it synch with Mozilla?

Dr Dean said:
I did, but how do you make it synch with Mozilla?

The setting in Firefox is tools/options/downloads

Is there a text-to-speech function for Microsoft Office 2003 or WordPad for PC? There was (is?) one on the Mac platform, that I used extensively in the past, and was hoping to do the same now that I walk through the valley of the shadow of Gates.

--Funkless

Dallenoff said:
Does it have jumpers on the back of the drive? They're tiny plastic "covers" that cover 2 pins to close a circuit. You can set a drive to be Master, Slave, or Cable-Select (I think).

There should definitely be a way to set up your new 200 GB drive as Slave, then transfer all your stuff, then if you need to, you can set it as Master.

I don't know what you have hooked up to your Ultra ATA controller card, but you can actually have both as Master if you want to use 2 cables:

Primary
Master: Old drive
Slave:

Secondary
Master: New drive
Slave:

thanks for the suggestion.. it worked.. you really helped me out....

alright.... another question for the pc brainiacs out there... i have two hard drives in my machine.. a previous installation of office xp is on the d:\ drive and i just installed a fresh copy on c:\... i need to import all my mail, contacts, and rules from the previous installation to the fresh install... when i use "import and export" off the file tab there is no option for importing from outlook xp, you can only choose from non-outlook e-mail clients and outlook express.... all my attempts at importing using "import and export" off the file tab have been futile..

any suggestions?? thanks a lot...

-euphoria

Members don't see this ad :)
U4iA said:
alright.... another question for the pc brainiacs out there... i have two hard drives in my machine.. a previous installation of office xp is on the d:\ drive and i just installed a fresh copy on c:\... i need to import all my mail, contacts, and rules from the previous installation to the fresh install... when i use "import and export" off the file tab there is no option for importing from outlook xp, you can only choose from non-outlook e-mail clients and outlook express.... all my attempts at importing using "import and export" off the file tab have been futile..

-euphoria

maybe launch outlook express, import it into outlook express, and then use whatever program to important the outlook express stuff?

U4iA said:

-euphoria
Hmm, I didn't know my thread was moved here, haven't visited it in a while :p

Outlook stores all the data (mail, contacts, apointments, etc) in an Outlook Personal Folder file with a .pst extension. Just copy the correct file that your old install uses, paste it somewhere you want, and point the new install to use this file.

Google for 'moving outlook pst file' or something similar for exact step-by-step instructions.

Lemme know if it works :)

DrMom said:
Moving to the new tech forum :)
How dare you!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

*searches for whips, chains and handcuffs*

TheWingThing said:
Lemme know if it works :)

It worked great... thanks a lot.. i just had to move about six files of application data..... i just can't figure out what file contains my account settings and rules.. but i could set that stuff up later.. thanks again....

Last edited:
Zanoman said:
The external speakers that I have do not have a control swithch for the bass. Is there some program that I could download that would allow me to control the bass? Thanks.

Jason

It sort of depends on your sound card. I will assume you have windows xp...if you double click on the volume icon in your system tray (the gray megaphone), your system sound properties box will pop up. Click the 'advanced' button under the "Play Control" slider, and if you're lucky you will see bass and treble adjustments.

U4iA said:
It worked great... thanks a lot.. i just had to move about six files of application data..... i just can't figure out what file contains my account settings and rules.. but i could set that stuff up later.. thanks again....

your account settings(servername/username, etc) have to be entered manually. For exporting rules, go to this link and you'll get step by step instructions:

http://crl.ucsd.edu/handbook/outlook2003/imap/rules-export.html

Save the export file(.rwz file) and copy it over.

Hi, my main computer is broken. My internet explorer won't load even though I'm connected with a cable modem. It keeps showing "The page cannot be displayed" The problem started the day My Norton Virus scanner broke. Friends have told me that it may be a virus and I've tried to install a new Norton antivirus but I need to connect to the internet for it to fully install. Any Suggestions? Thanks

Ebola said:
Hi, my main computer is broken. My internet explorer won't load even though I'm connected with a cable modem. It keeps showing "The page cannot be displayed" The problem started the day My Norton Virus scanner broke. Friends have told me that it may be a virus and I've tried to install a new Norton antivirus but I need to connect to the internet for it to fully install. Any Suggestions? Thanks

1.Make sure your default home page is set correctly under tools/internet options. A lot of these spyware programes will change your default homepage to some url that doesn't exist. Also under tools/internet options, click on the connections tab. Make sure there's nothing in the box at the top of the tab. Unless it's related to your cable provider. If there is, or you're not sure, call your ISP tech support and find out what, if anything, should be installed there.

2.Try and ping a website. In dos mode (go to start/run, type command) type in ping www.google.com. If you get something like ttl request 60ms 4 times then you know you're getting out to the internet. If you get "request timed out" then IE isn't the problem, it's that you're not connecting to the internet.

3. reinstall or upgrade IE. this will fix the problem, if it's with IE.

4. If you still can't connect to this point, reinstall your cable provider's software. You should have gotten a CD when you had your cable modem installed. At this point, you might as well be on the phone with your ISP tech support, because they know all the settings you'll need to reenter for your ISP's network.

Hope this helps!

Ebola said:

try an alternative browser such as www.mozilla.org and download firefox.

also try TOOLS-->CONNECTIONS-->and select the cable connection and click SETTINGS . Make sure it isn't trying to connect via some proxy.

bumping for the n00bs :)

OK I am a totally ignorant fool when it comes to computer matters. :oops: I have a Vaio laptop with Windows ME, and it's always been a little screwy (random error messages, text looks odd) but a few days ago it froze and now when I turn it on it basically does nothing. It tries to run scan disk but it can't, and then a white window pops up with an Explorer error (close, ignore?) and no matter what I click more error windows keep popping up and it will never load everything and won't open anything I click on. So what I was wondering - is using your system recovery cd a good or bad idea? I have had so many problems with this thing that what I really want to do is throw it out the window. Sorry if this has already been covered but since I'm supposed to be working right now I don't have a ton of time to browse through everything you guys have written.

I have a new Dell 600M laptop and the Monitor panel has a dark gray spot at the bottom near the Dell Logo. It has always been there and I didn't think anything of it until I saw someone elses and their display was normal.

What could it be?

Thank you,

:luck:

gioia said:
I have a new Dell 600M laptop and the Monitor panel has a dark gray spot at the bottom near the Dell Logo. It has always been there and I didn't think anything of it until I saw someone elses and their display was normal.

What could it be?

Thank you,

:luck:

you're dropping pixels. it happens pretty often with notebooks. unfortunately the only fix is a replaced moniter. i'm hoping that you bought the service plan, because it will cover this problem.

good luck.

S

stoic said:
you're dropping pixels. it happens pretty often with notebooks. unfortunately the only fix is a replaced moniter. i'm hoping that you bought the service plan, because it will cover this problem.

good luck.

S

Hmm. I purchased the laptop at the end of July and got a two year plan...
I actually don't know what they cover, but it has always been that way.

Sheesh.

Thank you very much!!

gioia said:
Hmm. I purchased the laptop at the end of July and got a two year plan...
I actually don't know what they cover, but it has always been that way.

Sheesh.

Thank you very much!!

Take it in. They'll fix it. The bad thing is that you'll probably be w/o your computer for a few days to a few weeks.

stoic said:
Take it in. They'll fix it. The bad thing is that you'll probably be w/o your computer for a few days to a few weeks.

Thank you!!

does anyone know of a good, lightweight desktop calendar program for xp? preferably free, or if it costs money, something that is well known.

thanks a lot..

U4iA said:
does anyone know of a good, lightweight desktop calendar program for xp? preferably free, or if it costs money, something that is well known.

thanks a lot..

Palm desktop for Windows - it's free

I'm having a lot of trouble with WiMP 10 crashing when playing web content. Anybody else experiencing this?

U4iA said:

thanks a lot..

i downloaded palm desktop, and i can't display the calendar on my desktop. is that feature available?

if not, does anyone know of a calendar program that diplays a calendar on the desktop? i am setting up a computer lab where students don't have administrative rights and they are complaining that they can't access the calendar by double-clicking on the time.

thanks.

MY IE KEEPS CRASHING. Freezing up. I cant click on links in window and sometimes it will freeze up for NO REASON. I have run adaware, spydoctor, and norton. Nothing is picked up. :( Not cool. I do have some tracking software my computer can't remove, but I've had that for awhile. Any suggestions? This totally isn't good.

mshheaddoc said:
MY IE KEEPS CRASHING. Freezing up. I cant click on links in window and sometimes it will freeze up for NO REASON. I have run adaware, spydoctor, and norton. Nothing is picked up. :( Not cool. I do have some tracking software my computer can't remove, but I've had that for awhile. Any suggestions? This totally isn't good.

backup your computer and do a clean install. have a computer savy friend w/ a notebook come over and setup a network so you can just tranfer the files you want to his/her computer, reload windows onto yours, and then transfer the files back. or you could borrow and removable hard drive and do the same thing.

the point is that you're unlikely to be able to get everything that's slowing down your computer removed without spending a lot more time and money that it would take to just reinstall. i know, it sucks. spam wins.

if it's any consolation i need to do the same thing to my computer. it takes 5 minutes to startup these days.

mshheaddoc said:

First thing that I would do is to run some registry cleaner, BUT only under windows 2000 or XP. If you still have windows 98 then don't bother playing with it due to the fact that it requires a bi-annual clean reinstall according to Microsoft for better operation.

By saying clean, I mean 1. Delete partitions 2. Format 3. Install OS
Note: never install an OS on a top of an existing OS!

Here is another thing, if you have Windows xp then simply go Start, All programs, Accessories, System Tools, then system restore to restore your computer state to the earlier time.

Good Luck

InfiniteUni said:
Sounds like your IE is either misconfigured or damaged. Best thing to do would be to right-click the IE icon on your desktop, go down the list and click "Properties." This will bring up a series of menus. Go to the last tab labeled "Advanced" and click the button at the bottom labeled "Restore Defaults." If this doesn't fix the problem, it is most likely some kind of damage to IE itself and needs a more in-depth diagnosis/more information to solve.

I did a search for this problem and found this response.

I get this problem intermittently. Most times pictures open fine, but on some sites, they don't. Is this a problem with the browser, some setting in the browser, my picture software, or the website? I think it may be some difference in the website, because websites that have that problem usually have all their pictures not show up right. It could also be a picture type that I don't have a default program set to open, right? Any ideas?

Man, I can't believe this. For some reason, my new download of Firefox 1.0 won't work. It just says "www. cannot be opened." I checked the settings and uninstalled it and tried again, but it is still happening. Other people who downloaded it said theirs was working fine. Does anyone have any ideas about what is wrong? Thank you in advance!

DDS2BE said:
First thing that I would do is to run some registry cleaner, BUT only under windows 2000 or XP. If you still have windows 98 then don't bother playing with it due to the fact that it requires a bi-annual clean reinstall according to Microsoft for better operation.

By saying clean, I mean 1. Delete partitions 2. Format 3. Install OS
Note: never install an OS on a top of an existing OS!

Here is another thing, if you have Windows xp then simply go Start, All programs, Accessories, System Tools, then system restore to restore your computer state to the earlier time.

Good Luck

do you know of a good, free reg cleaner?

Spartacus said:
Man, I can't believe this. For some reason, my new download of Firefox 1.0 won't work. It just says "www. cannot be opened." I checked the settings and uninstalled it and tried again, but it is still happening. Other people who downloaded it said theirs was working fine. Does anyone have any ideas about what is wrong? Thank you in advance!

that's odd.. i just had a similar problem accessing secure sites.. but i haven't DLed the new version - i'm still running PR.. i searched for the error online and noticed two common causes reported.. temporary internet files and firewall/proxy settings.. i clearned my temp files, messed around with my firewall settings, and made sure my proxy settings were right and it started working again.. in the process i noticed that my norton internet security was acting all wack.. i'm still not sure what the bug is.. but it's gone..

U4iA said:
that's odd.. i just had a similar problem accessing secure sites.. but i haven't DLed the new version - i'm still running PR.. i searched for the error online and noticed two common causes reported.. temporary internet files and firewall/proxy settings.. i clearned my temp files, messed around with my firewall settings, and made sure my proxy settings were right and it started working again.. in the process i noticed that my norton internet security was acting all wack.. i'm still not sure what the bug is.. but it's gone..
:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

stoic said:
do you know of a good, free reg cleaner?

RegSupreme 1.2 download a free 14-day trial version and simply run it. You will be good to go for at least half a year. A serial for this program can also be found, just use google :)

Our school doesn't offer wireless in the clinics due to HIPAA concerns. I'm not sure how offering internet connections wirelessly would violate HIPAA policies? If it does, couldn't they simply make it secure by requiring a login?
Thanks!

Jyaki said:
Our school doesn't offer wireless in the clinics due to HIPAA concerns. I'm not sure how offering internet connections wirelessly would violate HIPAA policies? If it does, couldn't they simply make it secure by requiring a login?
Thanks!
That's a load of BS. HIPAA has been such a lame excuse. :rolleyes:

U4iA said:

thanks a lot..
there's a couple located at www.download.com just search "desktop calendar" there are some that are free and some requrie a fee, no more than 15 dollars.

I just bought, and installed, a new 250gb external hard-drive (usb 2.0). ( I have already formatted it to NtFS from FAT32)

Is there any way to make it my primary hard drive, and should I do this if it is possible, or leave the internal drive as primary? I have an 20gb internal hard drive.

also, how can I back up the entire internal drive onto my external drive (there were no intructions on backing up :( ).

Also...

any good suggestions for PROVEN anti-spam, anti-spyware, registry cleaners, firewalls, and other fun security programs?

I prefer zone alarm Suite, RegMechanic, and use GRC.com and some of their programs quite a bit, but I wanted to expand my PC horizons and network some information. All suggestions are appreciated.

bb

bennyhanna said:
I just bought, and installed, a new 250gb external hard-drive (usb 2.0). ( I have already formatted it to NtFS from FAT32)

Is there any way to make it my primary hard drive, and should I do this if it is possible, or leave the internal drive as primary? I have an 20gb internal hard drive.

also, how can I back up the entire internal drive onto my external drive (there were no intructions on backing up :( ).

Also...

any good suggestions for PROVEN anti-spam, anti-spyware, registry cleaners, firewalls, and other fun security programs?

I prefer zone alarm Suite, RegMechanic, and use GRC.com and some of their programs quite a bit, but I wanted to expand my PC horizons and network some information. All suggestions are appreciated.

bb

I doubt it is possible to make the usb drive bootable unless you are able to remove it from the case and plug it into the ide controller.

I would not do it even if possible because the usb drive will be much slower access (usb vs ide) and would slow your machine down.

Zone labs is a good firewall, norton antivirus, adaware...

bennyhanna said:

I agree with davidr. Keep the internal drive the primary boot/operating system drive. The point of an external USB drive is portability, and putting an operating system on it would be like...converting a mountain bike into an exercise bike that goes nowhere...

There's a program called DriveCopy that lets you do this. There's quite a few programs actually that let you do "hard drive images." Then you could store the backup onto your external drive and if your primary one fails, you can reload the image back onto it when it's healthy.

Another option is just use Windows Explorer and copy and paste the important data files (like homework, MP3s, photos, videos, pr0n collection, etc.) and just say "heck with it" for Windows and your programs. Reinstalling Windows and programs really isn't that bad. Losing important personal stuff is what really sucks.

All I use is Symantec (aka Norton) AntiVirus (provided by my school), Ad-Aware Personal Edition (free), and Spybot Search and Destroy (free). PC World did a test on several spyware programs, and many of the ones that cost money were worse than Ad-Aware and Spybot. You can get the pay version of Ad-Aware for real-time protection.

I don't really use any other spyware programs or registry cleaners. Hope some of this helps.