Ascension outsources Illinois hospitalist job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laserbeam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

This does not feel good about hospitalist job market and career outlook.

Members don't see this ad.

This does not feel good about hospitalist job market and career outlook.

Yeah, it's happening everywhere. The "general hospitalist" track will be gone in 20 years, tops, I think. It's just not sustainable. It's getting sold now to PE/VC businesses, but after they realize it's not financially viable, they'll replace it (or dramatically reduce their numbers).

Reactions: 2 users
Hasn’t this already been happening for years with groups like Sound Physicians, etc?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's happening everywhere. The "general hospitalist" track will be gone in 20 years, tops, I think. It's just not sustainable. It's getting sold now to PE/VC businesses, but after they realize it's not financially viable, they'll replace it (or dramatically reduce their numbers).

Replace it with what?

Reactions: 1 user
Never worked with NP as in patient when I moonlighted as hospitalist but out patient they cant differentiate a Cellulitis from a DVT and prescribe antibiotics for a asymptomatic patient with 4 wbcs in urine……..
Not sure how well it will work out for the patients.

My hospital just recently transitioned their hospitalist department to a staffing company, who immediately cut pay. I don’t know how many docs ended up leaving but now there are a procession of new docs coming in.

All these places are losing money hand over fist and the inpatient side isn’t really profitable. It’s much easier for the hospital to just let these staffing companies deal with the headaches of staffing and turnover, and they just bill insurers independently.
Whole system is not really sustainable since payer mixes are deteriorating as more and more get on Medicare Advantage and other gov/semi gov payers.

Never worked with NP as in patient when I moonlighted as hospitalist but out patient they cant differentiate a Cellulitis from a DVT and prescribe antibiotics for a asymptomatic patient with 4 wbcs in urine……..
Not sure how well it will work out for the patients.
Unfortunately that doesn’t matter.

Reactions: 3 users
Ascension is the devil.

I interviewed at an Ascension facility out of fellowship and one of the cardiologists basically said the whole system sucks. He's only there for his family. They don't respect anything except money and they are blatant about it.

The system needs to give me another 7-8 years before everything blows up.