Army HPSP School Orders Question (DO/MPH)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoSusRN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm interested in a dual degree DO/MPH program at my school. The MPH classes would be taken during the summers of M0 and M1. However, I am an Army HPSP student, and I'm wondering whether the MPH classes during the M1 summer would qualify as "school orders" in order to satisfy the ADT obligation. Other than those two summers, the only other MPH obligation is a 6 week field study rotation taken as an elective during M4. Concerning officer training, I plan to complete that at the end of medical school or immediately after finishing. So does this sound feasible or a) will I be too disconnected from the army or b) will the two programs conflict in a way I'm not aware of? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think this is a question SDN can answer with much certainty. I would contact the HPSP recruiter who brought you in.

Reach out to your recruiter but I doubt they'd know off the top of their head. OP, you can definitely fulfill ADT at your home school for "research", effectively whatever you want but the problem is that you'd need to go to ODS at some point. Commonly, you would go during M1 summer, sometimes the summer before matriculation. I don't think you have enough time during M3 and doing it after M4 isn't an option so I would probably say no you can't, unless you want to extend your contract by a year, which I imagine would require you to get approval.

In any case, post in the mil-med forum and reach out to your recruiter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That right,post in the mil-med forum and reach out to your recruiter.thanks
1RD6oHN

I'd hate to postpone officer training. The reason that they have you do it first is so that you are familiar with military procedure before doing your 3rd and 4th year rotations at military hospitals. Also, since you normally apply for residency at the beginning of 4th year, it may mess up your application timeline.