Army HPSP Commissioning Timeline. Year end cutoff date Sep/Oct?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chips&salsa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was board-selected for an Army HPSP 4-year scholarship back in June 2019. I've been waiting on a disposition waiver to process that has taken a really long time. According to my recruiters, the waiver has been signed by all officers except for the last senior official (a general).

I started medical school on July 22nd, so I've been in it for a little over a month. My medical school has placed my account on hold pending HPSP payment. All my tuition and fees are still outstanding. I've basically just been living off savings for a while because I haven't accepted any loans. Unfortunately, my savings are running low and I'm worried about how long it will take before final approval of the waiver and being cleared to commission. It's a weird position to be in because I will have a hard time paying the rent after a couple more months of waiting. Also, I don't want to use loan money if the army is going to pay.

Does anyone know about the timelines for this sort of thing? I heard a rumor that there is a cutoff date at the end of September where if you don't commission in time the recruiters try to convert your application into a 3-year without telling you. This way they get a head start on meeting next year's quota. Is that true or am I just psyching myself out? (FYI, I'm not interested in a 3-year scholarship. I've already been board-selected for the 4-year and I expect back pay).

Thank you to anyone who as insights about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I heard a rumor that there is a cutoff date at the end of September where if you don't commission in time the recruiters try to convert your application into a 3-year without telling you.

Look at the contract you signed. That is the final word on 3 vs 4 years.

Get a loan if the alternative is living on the street, dumpster diving for food, or getting kicked out of school due to nonpayment of your tuition.
Take out a loan and get the money in your bank account. If the army comes through, just pay it back immediately. If they don't, you're gonna need it. Yes, you will pay a bit of interest for having money out for a few months, but, right or wrong, that is the price for getting a waiver dependent HPSP scholarship a few weeks before school started. The big green weenie just don't move that fast.

And this is a good lesson on waiting for someone else in the army to do a simple job(for them) that has huge personal impacts on you. This won't be the last time, so you had better have or develop some good coping skills.

Thank you for your reply. I did sign a 4-year contract, so I hope that remains to be the case despite the wait.

I will consider the loan option as I continue to be patient. My school has given me 120 days to make changes if desired.