Army externship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

@armydentalstudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the Army only reimburses for externships that are at least 3 weeks, for people who have done externships through the Army, should I do the 3 weeks or is that too long? I was originally thinking about doing about a week or so at an OS clinic, but it wouldn't be funded. What are some of your experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Since the Army only reimburses for externships that are at least 3 weeks, for people who have done externships through the Army, should I do the 3 weeks or is that too long? I was originally thinking about doing about a week or so at an OS clinic, but it wouldn't be funded. What are some of your experiences?
Does your school have an externship built into the curriculum or would they support a 3+ week externship? My school did and I had an extended externship which was great for getting a really strong letter of rec. I did a couple 1wk externships too at civ programs for the experience. Anything you can do to demonstrate interest or get a good letter is worth it, you definitely want to go to a mil program and if you can get it paid for even better but not that common

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your insight! School doesn't offer an externship in curriculum sadly. I'm wondering if it's beneficial to do a shorter externship first then as I get more experience, I can do a longer one so I won't be completely incompetent and in everyone's way for a prolonged period of time.