Are women at a disadvantage for ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saprolite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since orthodontics is so competitive, are women wishing to enter orthodontics at a disadvantage because admissions boards fear that they will give up orthodontics or be less committed because of family duties, pregnancy, etc.? If a woman has a child during dental school prior to residency, would this put her at a disadvantage in being admitted to such a competitive program?

Thanks for any insight,

Saprolite

Members don't see this ad.

saprolite said:
Since orthodontics is so competitive, are women wishing to enter orthodontics at a disadvantage because admissions boards fear that they will give up orthodontics or be less committed because of family duties, pregnancy, etc.? If a woman has a child during dental school prior to residency, would this put her at a disadvantage in being admitted to such a competitive program?

Thanks for any insight,

Saprolite

I don't think women are disadvantaged. I think their lower numbers in most specialties are only a product of them applying less because they *choose* to have a family, not that they are not accepted for the fear that they will want to start a family.

Certainly not a UConn. :D

LSR1979 said:
I don't think women are disadvantaged. I think their lower numbers in most specialties are only a product of them applying less because they *choose* to have a family, not that they are not accepted for the fear that they will want to start a family.

Members don't see this ad :)
LSR1979 said:

It was strange to see so many women at the recent GORP. It seemed to me that most of the west coast programs had more girls than boys. UWA had more girls than boys definately. And you know what? Most of them didn't look too bad either. Perhaps there are more girls entering the residency now than before?

saprolite said:

Thanks for any insight,

Saprolite

I think this pertains more to omfs if anything.

saprolite said:
Are women at a disadvantage for ortho?

Only the ugly ones. :smuggrin:

Seriously though, the fact that women tend not to practice as long or as much as men would only be a positive in the eyes of many. Specialty organizations seem to have very protectionist tendencies; the less competition the better.

I think program directors tend to think twice about females, but can you blame them? 3 out of the 5 females in ortho while I was in dental school either got married in residency or started having kids... and never practiced a day in their lives when residency was over. That's wasting a $h!tload of our taxpayer money for their education, expecting they will turn around and provide a service back to society. But I don't think this is necessarily an ortho thing, it's more of a generalized dental school problem.

saprolite said:

Thanks for any insight,

Saprolite

It seems if anything, they may actually have a slight advantage. Just because there are fewer female applicants than males (but more female residents proportional to the number of seats). Programs seem to like having a little variety in a class (i.e. not all males). As was said, UW and other places have several ladies in their programs. Of course, I'm sure wherever they are at, women are residents because they are exceptionally qualified... Chances as a female appplicant seem as good or better than males.

jpollei said:
Of course, I'm sure wherever they are at, women are residents because they are exceptionally qualified... Chances as a female appplicant seem as good or better than males.

On the interviews, it becomes very obvious that everyone is exceptionally qualified. Some programs like women, some don't, sometimes it just comes out in the match that way. One top five percenter with a 98 vs. another top 5 percenter with a 98 can be difficult, and usually the scales get tipped by subjective things. Sometimes subjective things are more shallow than others, ie. program not taking women because they might get preggo, program specifically taking attractive women, program only taking people not from their area, etc. The world of orthodontics and orthodontic residency can seem fairly shady at times. :(

"fairly shady"

There is nothing fair about the amount of shadiness that goes on at some places. "Fair" is an understatement. A better descriptor would be "grossly shady."

Doggie said:
I think this pertains more to omfs if anything.

I'm not sure this is true. Sure, they enter a specialty dominated by males, but this is because most choose not to enter OMFS because of the longevity of the residency, and the sacrafice they will make with family, marriage, children, the bachelor, laguna beach, 90210, etc....

When i interviewed, it was probably 10 or 15 to 1 male to female, but of the females i interviewed with and kept up with, all of them matched, most right where they wanted to go.

Does anyone know whether Baylor is friendly to female residents? Would getting a DDS from Baylor put a person at an advantage or disadvantage with respect to admission into a residency program there?

Thanks for your help,

Saprolite

Very female friendly. If you have the grades. It is a very competitive program.

saprolite said:
Does anyone know whether Baylor is friendly to female residents? Would getting a DDS from Baylor put a person at an advantage or disadvantage with respect to admission into a residency program there?

Thanks for your help,

Saprolite

saprolite said:

Thanks for any insight,

Saprolite

I could make a joke about how most ortho is done by women anyways. Most of them don't have a DDS/DMD though if you know what I mean. But I won't make this joke considering it will offend both men in ortho who have their assistants do most of the work and women in ortho who feel that this somehow is sexist. Just for the record, it is to demean all orthodontists-male and female because the assistants do all the work! :eek: Oh baby, I can feel the hate mail/reply's coming and I haven't even submitted this one. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just stoking the fire for some good weekend reading/bantering that is sure to warm my heart.

esclavo said:
I could make a joke about how most ortho is done by women anyways. Most of them don't have a DDS/DMD though if you know what I mean. But I won't make this joke considering it will offend both men in ortho who have their assistants do most of the work and women in ortho who feel that this somehow is sexist. Just for the record, it is to demean all orthodontists-male and female because the assistants do all the work! :eek: Oh baby, I can feel the hate mail/reply's coming and I haven't even submitted this one. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just stoking the fire for some good weekend reading/bantering that is sure to warm my heart.

Most ortho is definetely done by women... with no more than a high school education that is ;) :laugh: