Are we able to get licensed to do Botox & filler during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancingqueen2211

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is whether an MD degree is enough to be able to get certified to do Botox & filler. I heard you can’t purchase it until after residency, but are we able to do the certification courses prior to finishing residency? I can’t find an answer anywhere. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My question is whether an MD degree is enough to be able to get certified to do Botox & filler. I heard you can’t purchase it until after residency, but are we able to do the certification courses prior to finishing residency? I can’t find an answer anywhere. Thank you!
You won't find an answer anywhere because that kind of thing doesn't exist.

There are no certification courses for Botox or filler

There are ACGME accredited cosmetic dermatology fellowships but you also don't need to complete those to be able to push Botox/filler

As a resident, it falls under supervision of your attending. Once you graduate you can then start with the cosmetics in your own practice. I don't know if there are any restrictions about obtaining botox or filler for BE vs BC but I doubt it.

OB/Gyns and dentists even do Botox. No certification required. It just falls under license and whether the person doing it is ok with dealing with risks of a bad outcome/litigation. I'm not a cosmetics expert, but for example a Derm 10 years out doing botox with a bad outcome on a patient vs a Dentist doing it for 2 months with the same bad outcome could have different outcomes in court if it came to that.

All you need is a license to practice medicine and a credit card and allergen will sell you all the Botox you want. And as long as your credit card has high enough limit Candela and the other laser companies will sell you all the lasers you want too!