Are there any schools known to offer full-rides or considerable merit-based scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelatoninAddict

Reaction score
Yeah yeah yeah, I know schools are greedy and would rather get money from a lower stat applicant than invite a high stat applicant for free. That being said, looking through the internet, there have been claims here and there that some schools do offer full-ride scholarships to some students. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, none of the schools in my state offer any kind of merit-based aid, and some of them have pretty high tuition rates, so I'm definitely willing to apply to some out-of-state schools if they tend to be more generous in financial aid. What schools are out there that tend to offer full rides or otherwise significant merit-based scholarships upon admission?

Members don't see this ad.

A little unrelated to your post. But would it still be worth it to attend pharmacy school even if it was free? In this case, you are sacrificing just time

Yeah yeah yeah, I know schools are greedy and would rather get money from a lower stat applicant than invite a high stat applicant for free. That being said, looking through the internet, there have been claims here and there that some schools do offer full-ride scholarships to some students. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, none of the schools in my state offer any kind of merit-based aid, and some of them have pretty high tuition rates, so I'm definitely willing to apply to some out-of-state schools if they tend to be more generous in financial aid. What schools are out there that tend to offer full rides or otherwise significant merit-based scholarships upon admission?

Few and far between. However, certain organizations offer merit-based "payments" during school and upon graduation. A few examples I have listed

1) ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps) - Pay up to 4 years of college in exchange for 4 years of service. With the specific pharmacy doctorate you would be pushed toward the health care side of the house with the duties of a pharmacist. Go to school for free, then serve for 4 years and your done.

2) IHS Supplemental Loan Repayment Program (After graduation): $20,000 per year toward the repayment of health profession education loans for every 2 years of fulltime service to the Native American or Alaska Community.

3) Walgreens Scholarship Assistance: $2500 toward tuition cost annually as long as you put in 1,040 hours toward Walgreens amongst other requirements.

4) Other miscellaneous scholarships for pharmacy in general:

The opportunities to go to school with a full ride is slim for pharmacy. These avenues either pay 100% with the caveat of giving service to a community or country or being bound to retail with specific retail stores. Count your blessings or pick your poisons I suppose.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As said, it is rare if offered at all. What I have seen are scholarships that you can immediately be awarded (based only on your pharmacy school application) or apply for after getting in (scholarships for P1s and on). They can be a good amount, but have not seen a full ride.

Reactions: 1 user
Extremely few schools these days offer a full ride in any subject. Schools exist to make money, whether profit or non-profit.

Reactions: 1 user
Back when I was a student, my alma mater (a state school) offered full ride to a few top students... don't know if they still do, though. And I think it was only for in-state applicants (back then, they didn't use to take out of state students anyway, except through agreements with neighboring states without pharmacy schools and applicants with strong ties to the state).

I got the Merit scholar from Western. Basically half off my tuition. Since I already have money saved up, I wont have any debt after I graduate! Although the pharmacy job market seems tough, im still going for it! Hope that helps!