are mexican schools still popular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

white daisy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering if mexican schools are still popular nowadays? it sounds much more complicated than carribean schools. is there any difference?

Members don't see this ad.

All I've *heard* is UAG is not as good as it was before. I met some who wanted to transfer to Ross from UAG. Instructors not as good as before and taught in Spanglish and hard to understand.

Go to ValueMD.com and do a search for mexican schools or post something on the Main IMG forum.

Has knocked the block off of the Guadalajara option.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to UAG from '99 to '03, and am now in 5th Pathway. Although Soopa is right about the Spanglish part of the instruction, UAG worked for me. I worked my butt off studying for their exams, and passed the Boards with a respectable score the first time I took it. It's my impression that at UAG, as in US schools, much of the learning is do-it-yourself. There's a lot of bureaucratic nonsense to deal with, both from the school and from the government.

I chose Mexico over the Caribbean because I wanted to improve my Spanish (I'd taken it in high school and College, but couldn't speak well), and because I wanted to bring my 3 dogs with me. Plus I wanted to drive, and ya can't drive to the Caribbean!! Re: the Spanish -- it's invaluable to me now and I expect it will continue to be so. Right now, I'm in Ob-Gyn, and I'd say that of the 7 or so patients I saw today, only 1 spoke English. And that's the norm.

I loved the people and the country and overall, I'd say my experience was positive, even though we all had our "bad Mexico days." That said, the range of responses from my friends is "despised the place; never going back" to "didn't really like it, but it worked for me" to mine, which was "I liked it and am definitely going back to visit friends and enjoy the culture."

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

skypilot said:
Has knocked the block off of the Guadalajara option.

Whats SGU?

I am hoping to get into a school in Mexico for the same reasons as DWStranger. The school I applied to is the University of Montemorelos. Besides that, I am a Christian and the school is affiliated with my church. Being two hours from Texas is not that bad either....and the cost beats what I would have paid for an 'offshore' option in the caribbean.