aProgDirector: Help. MyEras website closing??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got this e-mail from the aamc stating: "The MyERAS Web site will close for the ERAS 2011 season at 5:00 PM Eastern Time (ET) on Tuesday, May 31, 2011. Once the MyERAS Web site closes on May 31st, you will no longer have access to your online application. ERAS does not keep copies of applications or supporting documents from year to year"

The email also says: " International Medical Graduates (IMGs) who participated in ERAS 2011 and plan to participate in ERAS 2012 should refer to the "Repeat Applicant" section of the ECFMG Web site
(http://www.ecfmg.org/eras/repeat.html) for more information regarding ECFMG's process for handling supporting documents"

So right now are we going to be entering the 2011 or 2012 ERAS season (when the next Token is available)?

Do I have to submit RoDS forms to get my LoRs back? The following from the link above but it's for 2011 repeat applicants:
Repeat Applicants are not required to resubmit:

Medical Student Performance Evaluations (MSPEs)
medical school transcripts
photographs
letters of recommendation (LoRs) that were transmitted to the ERAS PostOffice during ERAS 2010
I ask, because as aforementioned, the e-mail I received said, "ERAS does not keep copies of applications or supporting documents from year to year"
So they say I DON'T have to resubmit LoRs, but at the same time they're saying the don't keep copies of the applications or supporting documents.

The thing is, the information in that link says "ERAS 2011 Repeat Applicants. If the next season is the 2012 season, does this info still apply to me?

Someone please clarify.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why dont you call ERAS and get all your questions answered straight from the source?

(202) 862-6264

Why dont you call ERAS and get all your questions answered straight from the source?

(202) 862-6264

You think I didn't try that?

They're closed.

Thanks for the input, anyway.

You think I didn't try that?

They're closed.

Thanks for the input, anyway.

Call them first thing Tuesday morning.

Until then, back up all of your (available) ERAS application on a Word document.

You'll have your answer before ERAS closes.

A RoDS request will not get your LORs returned if you've waived your right to see them.

ERAS doesn't keep the hard copy of your LOR, but the digital format is saved on ERAS for next year.

The link you posted above was last updated June 10, 2010. Either add 1 year to each date in the link and re-read it; or you can wait a couple of weeks for the next update. Either way, your next step should become clear.

You're welcome.

This coming cycle is the 2012 season. The ERAS website will change everything over to the new dates in June...so they will update the "2011 repeat applicants" info page with any new info and change it to "2012" before ERAS reopens on July 1.

I suspect they may keep LORs, etc. on file for IMGs only (as all US schools will keep this stuff on file for students, and can re-upload it for them). They should be open on Tuesday to answer your question.

Call them first thing Tuesday morning.

Until then, back up all of your (available) ERAS application on a Word document.

You'll have your answer before ERAS closes.

A RoDS request will not get your LORs returned if you've waived your right to see them.

ERAS doesn't keep the hard copy of your LOR, but the digital format is saved on ERAS for next year.

The link you posted above was last updated June 10, 2010. Either add 1 year to each date in the link and re-read it; or you can wait a couple of weeks for the next update. Either way, your next step should become clear.

You're welcome.
So as long as they have the digital copies, I'm assuming I should "be good".

This coming cycle is the 2012 season. The ERAS website will change everything over to the new dates in June...so they will update the "2011 repeat applicants" info page with any new info and change it to "2012" before ERAS reopens on July 1.

I suspect they may keep LORs, etc. on file for IMGs only (as all US schools will keep this stuff on file for students, and can re-upload it for them). They should be open on Tuesday to answer your question.
Thanks to the both of you.

:thumbup:

It's confusing.

As far as I can tell:

1. ERAS keeps NOTHING from year to year. You have to type in your entire application again next year. They do not keep MSPE's, LOR's, etc. Everything is wiped clean.

2. ERAS Support Services at ECFMG keeps Supporting docs for it's applicants -- MSPE's, LOR's, etc. They probably don't do this out of the goodness of their hearts, but because they tend to have a large number of reapplicants, saving this stuff saves them lots of time and energy.

So:

1. You should print out your entire ERAS application now. All of those carefully crafted descriptions of what you did on your summer vacation will be deleted tomorrow.
2. Your MSPE and LOR's will be saved by the ECFMG, and if you apply next year will be available for your use again.
3. The caveat above in regards to LOR's is this: If you uploaded an LOR but never actually assigned it to any program, it will not be saved for next year.
4. The next ERAS season is 2012. The year refers to the year of the match. ERAS 2012 will "open" in the fall of 2011.

It's confusing.

As far as I can tell:

1. ERAS keeps NOTHING from year to year. You have to type in your entire application again next year. They do not keep MSPE's, LOR's, etc. Everything is wiped clean.

2. ERAS Support Services at ECFMG keeps Supporting docs for it's applicants -- MSPE's, LOR's, etc. They probably don't do this out of the goodness of their hearts, but because they tend to have a large number of reapplicants, saving this stuff saves them lots of time and energy.

So:

1. You should print out your entire ERAS application now. All of those carefully crafted descriptions of what you did on your summer vacation will be deleted tomorrow.
2. Your MSPE and LOR's will be saved by the ECFMG, and if you apply next year will be available for your use again.
3. The caveat above in regards to LOR's is this: If you uploaded an LOR but never actually assigned it to any program, it will not be saved for next year.
4. The next ERAS season is 2012. The year refers to the year of the match. ERAS 2012 will "open" in the fall of 2011.
This is exactly why I made this thread to ask you while their offices were closed, because I called them up today and they told me basically the same thing you said.

Thanks as always, aPD. :thumbup: