Approximate Residency Start Date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiscokid93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Am considering a vacation after I graduate, but in the event that I obtain a residency, approximately when do they expect residents to start?

My anticipated graduation date is approximately 5/8/20. Yes it's a way off, but like I said, trying to plan things just in case. Has anyone been in a similar situation, or already had something planned that interfered with their start date as a resident?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Most residencies start the Monday around July 1st.

Reactions: 1 users
earliest I've seen was a 2 week overlap with the outgoing resident class (ie, starts 3rd full week of June). plan something around memorial day

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most programs report start dates on the ASHP website. I would not be thrilled as your RPD if you asked me to change your start date for a non-emergent event.

Most programs report start dates on the ASHP website. I would not be thrilled as your RPD if you asked me to change your start date for a non-emergent event.

That start date isn’t always accurate. Mine had it listed as July 1st, which fell on a Sunday. Because of the nature of my site, that wasn’t feasible. They had me start the Friday before. But then again, I had the correct start date in the letter they sent me to sign. So technically you’re right. The RPD would be mad if you asked for a change of date lol

taking vacation in may or first week of june is the safest bet. Some programs start mid-june...most seem to start the last week of june or first of july.
remember that you will also need to take your NAPLEX and MPJE at that time, though, and many residency programs have a deadline for taking those. For instance, I graduated may 1st, studied for exams for a few weeks, traveled for six days at the end of may, then took my NAPLEX a week after returning and MPJE a week after that. I know some people who took their exams before traveling, so if you happen to be able to schedule your exams in that way and feel that you can sufficiently study in the spring, that may work best for you. But you can't schedule your exams until you get your ATT, which may or may not take some time to get (depending on your state).
good luck!

taking vacation in may or first week of june is the safest bet. Some programs start mid-june...most seem to start the last week of june or first of july.
remember that you will also need to take your NAPLEX and MPJE at that time, though, and many residency programs have a deadline for taking those. For instance, I graduated may 1st, studied for exams for a few weeks, traveled for six days at the end of may, then took my NAPLEX a week after returning and MPJE a week after that. I know some people who took their exams before traveling, so if you happen to be able to schedule your exams in that way and feel that you can sufficiently study in the spring, that may work best for you. But you can't schedule your exams until you get your ATT, which may or may not take some time to get (depending on your state).
good luck!

How long did it approximately take you to study for NAPLEX and MPJE? I finish end of May, hence do you know when I should start studying? (Keeping in mind i’ll still be rotating in hospitals). Also, does NAPLEX ask alot about doses? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How long did it approximately take you to study for NAPLEX and MPJE? I finish end of May, hence do you know when I should start studying? (Keeping in mind i’ll still be rotating in hospitals). Also, does NAPLEX ask alot about doses? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
everyone is different. I know some people who studied throughout rotations (some schools required rxprep chapters to be completed periodically). I would estimate I studied three weeks for naplex and one for MPJE. but again, everyone is different.
doesn't hurt to start early.