Applying while doing post bacc/masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was thinking about doing a masters (specifically georgetown), and I was wondering is it possible to be applying to med schools while doing a masters/ post bacc programm? While secondaries, traveling to interviews, or anything else get in the way of classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Or is it better to wait untill you are finished with your programm?

Originally posted by NRAI2001
Or is it better to wait untill you are finished with your programm?

I am starting a post-bacc next fall at Georgetown. My plan is to finish by December 2005 then spend January through March 2006 studying and joining an EMT Squad before taking the MCAT that April. For me, it would be a lot easier to apply when I'm done because I need time off to study for the test and gain some more clinical experience.

That's just me.. you gotta do what you want to do and whatever will help you get in!

GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by AndrewWKRules
I am starting a post-bacc next fall at Georgetown. My plan is to finish by December 2005 then spend January through March 2006 studying and joining an EMT Squad before taking the MCAT that April. For me, it would be a lot easier to apply when I'm done because I need time off to study for the test and gain some more clinical experience.

That's just me.. you gotta do what you want to do and whatever will help you get in!

GOOD LUCK!

So your post bacc programm will take u 1.5 years?

I think it depends on the master's. I started the app process (specifically, prepping for the April MCAT) in my last semester of my MBA program. It was difficult to both study for the MCAT and keep up with the classes because they required different mindsets, but it was doable.

On the other hand, I know a guy who got a master's in biology (I don't remember the area of emphasis); he applied while he was doing his thesis. He had excellent grades, MCAT and LORs, but didn't get any interviews. This, he said, was because he was so distracted with his thesis that he didn't get his apps in until the deadlines, which probably put him at a disadvantage.

Finally, I met a guy at an interview who said he'd done 10 interviews in six weeks on the East Coast (he was from Texas), and had to keep flying back and forth in order to keep his research on-track while interviewing. If he was being truthful, kudos to him...it would have really stressed me out if it was me.

Bottom line - look at what your workload will be at the time you're applying, and plan accordingly. The MCAT, AMCAS, secondaries, and interviews are all time-intensive and distracting and should be treated as such, but if you're good at time management anything is possible. Just my $0.02.

Originally posted by NRAI2001
So your post bacc programm will take u 1.5 years?

Yes, about. September 2004 through December 2005. I wanted to start the spring/summer term 2004, but I took off time to work and will need this coming spring term to finish off my bachelor's.