Applying to MPH programs-question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocKW

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into pursuing a MPH degree, and thereafter applying to medical school. In obtaining a MPH degree, I want to concentrate in health education and prevention in underserved communities, and incorporate what I learn in my career as a physican within these communities.

My question is as follow:

As I apply to MPH schools, would it be viewed negatively to say I want to continue to medical school after I completely my degree?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably depends a bit on the school, but keep in mind that many physicians have MPHs. The degrees are intended to go hand in hand.

I did my MPH before med school and was very clear in my application essay about my intentions to go to med school. I explained how I thought the MPH would be useful to me as a physician.

dido what Dr. Mom said. But I would be cautious - if your public health professional goals are something that an MPH can help provide without an MD, I see no reason to even mention an MD. If asked about it you can always say that getting an MD might be an appropriate adjunct but stress the fact that what you do absolutely requires the MPH and not the MD. As you know, some people are hesitant about taking people who may only be using an MPH as a stepping stone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Preventative Medicine is a medical residency that goes perfectly with an MPH in community health. You should have no problem convincing an adcomm that you wish to have epertise in clinical as well as community medicine to further your professional goals. In fact, if you wish to work as a county health director or similar role, a MD is pretty much required, along with a public health background.

thanks exmike!

Originally posted by DocKW
I am looking into pursuing a MPH degree, and thereafter applying to medical school. In obtaining a MPH degree, I want to concentrate in health education and prevention in underserved communities, and incorporate what I learn in my career as a physican within these communities.

My question is as follow:

As I apply to MPH schools, would it be viewed negatively to say I want to continue to medical school after I completely my degree?

Thanks!

Schools of Public Health (SPH) tend to frown on applicants who are applying to MPH programs because they didn't get into medical school and think another degree will magically lead to acceptance. In my opinion this frowning is with good reason. However, it only makes sense that some strong public health students will see medical school as part of the plan. For those students there are several options:

-MD/DO-MPH Program
-MD/DO followed by a Preventive Medicine Residency (which usually will include a MPH)
-MD/DO preceded by or followed by a separate MPH program

Different groups will be better served by different tracks. I personally opted to do separate programs for several reasons. As a freshman in college I thought I'd do a MD/PhD and do medical research but throughout college (Biochemistry major) I realized that though I excelled in the lab it wasn't what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing. (Most of my undergraduate colleagues are now doing molecular biology and I admit it's fascinating but I love what I do too) My nutrition minor led me into public health and epidemiology came alive to me. I was fortunate to be accepted by an awesome SPH where I realized that epidemiology still ruled, and that I didn't want just build rural health networks I wanted to actually work as a clinician in one. My MPH program director was incredibly supportive of my decision to apply to medical school (and wrote letters happily), my advisor threw a party when I got into medical school which basically tells me I attended a school where faculty were supportive of student achievements.

I don't know if having a MPH helped in the applications process (and technically I didn't have one when I was applying as I applied the summer in between my first and second years). I think some of the research I had done and was doing in my MPH program was probably favorable (although I already had a research background from undergrad so perhaps it was irrelevant). I think what most helped me was having a clear sense of why I was going to medical school and what my ultimate career/life goals were (ie that infamous ten year plan).

People have asked me why I didn't just do a combined medicine and public health program and I did briefly consider that late junior year of college but I wasn't completely certain about the medical school aspect and I really wanted to go to an ASPH accredited program. The way I saw it since I was sure I wanted to do public health I needed to pick the best school for public health and not have to compromise for a weaker public health program at a strong medical school. This doesn't mean MD/DO-MPH programs are a mistake for everyone and it might have been an option I considered more if I had been sure at that point I definitely wanted to go to medical school.

Preventive Medicine Residencies can provide great opportunities for physicians without previous public health training, but they don't provide clinical medical training and practicing as a clinician is the reason I went to medical school. The SPH I attended had an affiliated PM residency and I attended most of their additional core lectures (and ironically it was several of them who opened my eyes to the wonderful world of Osteopathic Medicine).

I think that your aspirations towards medical school will not be viewed negatively if you explain it in terms of your ultimate life/career goals. I participated on the admissions committee in my second year of graduate school and know that while our committee clearly didn't want students who were only applying because they didn't get into medical school or thought it would help them get into medical school (but then in honesty what admission committee would want these canidates?) students with plans for additional professional degrees were not discriminated against. Good Luck with your applications and public health studies.

I would not talk about medicine in your application. I met with an admissions officer at one of the top public health schools while I was applying and told her that I wanted to go to public health school right out of college. She immediately assumed that I was applying as a back up to med school. She told me to make sure my recs didn't say "To the medical school admissions committee"!! I got into the public health school (and I am going to med school in the fall). Good luck with the process! Go to a good public health school and you will be an even better doctor!

Originally posted by RuralMedicine

I was fortunate to be accepted by an awesome SPH where I realized that epidemiology still ruled, and that I didn't want just build rural health networks I wanted to actually work as a clinician in one.

RurualMed, if you don't mind - what's the name of this awesome SPH?

I disagree with everyone who says you shouldn't tell the school you are interested in medicine...

I was VERY up front with the public health programs I applied to. I got into each one I applied for (and they are good : Emory, michigan, BU, USC, Tulane). I needed to be out of there in a year to start med school on time so I needed them to know my situation. Look, you are still going to be in the Public Health field. In fact, many would argue that a physician with a public health background is a valuable asset for healthcare since he/she is a deliverer of care. Rather, let them know why you think public health would make you a stronger physician and the goals you hope to obtain with the combination of the two. Many different fields in medicine deal with preventive medicine... I have zero desire to get into a PMR residency, but rather utilize my knowledge in a clinical setting. This goes for anything from health education to international health. Regardless, you will still be linked into the public health community and not blacklisted as a result. By the way, many people do go on to med school following their MPH and it is expected in every class that several will.

Originally posted by mdchick
I disagree with everyone who says you shouldn't tell the school you are interested in medicine...

I still disagree with that. If you have poor grades, pub health schools already have a reason not to accept you. If you add on top of that that you jus twant to use it to boost your med school resume, that only gives them another reason to not accept you. I was also told DIRECTLY by admissions officers at a couple schools NOT to mention that (Harvard in particular).

hi,i am from bangladesh.Ihave completed my MBBS degree in bangladesh.Now i want to get admission in mph,in usa.I havent applied yet.whats the last date to submit all the papers and scores for the schools in usa.I really need to know.Can anybody give me some name of schools,that will be good for me?I mean with aids.I am looking forward for any answer,eagerly