Applying to MD/PhD with MCAT on the lower end?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ModernPhilosopher

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a senior planning to apply to MD/PhD programs this upcoming cycle. I also recently received my MCAT score and have been receiving conflicting advice regarding my score. I have heard from some individuals that MCAT scores don't carry a ton of weight for MD/PhD admissions and that its more about your research and LORs. On the other hand I have heard that your MCAT score needs to be above a 516 to have a chance. Would I be competitive for MD/PhD programs given my other stats? I have included them below.

cGPA: 3.85

sGPA: 3.76

MCAT: 510 (129/125/128/128)

Research:
- 2 publications with one being a second author.
- Have done part time research (15-20 hrs a week) every semester of undergrad and worked full time for two summers.
- Received my own funding from the NIH for a summer project.
- Worked in 2 labs simultaneously over the past year.
- Will be working at the NIH as part of the IRTA program next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say it depends on the school. I'm in a similar boat as you and discussions I've had with different schools (and even differing opinions within the same school) make a blanket answer pretty tough. I say shoot your shot and apply broadly. I'm certain you'll have great success as long as the application itself (explanations of intent, PS, etc) are done well! :)

I mean probably Harvard, Stanford, WashU, etc may not show you love but 'you miss 100% of the shots you don't take' so apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your GPA, I think you may have fewer problems with any auto filters or academic concerns. I had a low GPA (upward trend), but 516 MCAT and got an A.

Having NIH funding and publications will also help, especially if you were working on a project for a good period of time. I think depth of research experience matters more than just number of hours or labs with MD-PhD. You need to be able to sustain a project for 3-4 years despite setbacks.

Definitely throw a wider net when you craft your school list, and consider metrics like size of program, IS vs OOS admissions, and Matriculant MCAT and GPA. Make sure to apply well below you GPA if possible (3.5-3.6) since your MCAT will likely be below the matriculant average for a 3.8 school.

Additionally, try to get in the clinic in something related to your field of interest. If you can, find a physician-scientist to shadow so you can learn about that schedule, balance, and what their clinic activity looks like so you determine what kind of double doc you’d like to be. I work with 4 physician scientists, and their examples have helped me with my goals.

I don't know enough to have any admissions data. Like you, I've heard several admissions committee members say that the MCAT is a flawed predictor of who will be a good doctor or scientist. Especially if someone had a compelling reason for a lower MCAT score, such as English as a second language, disruption due to the pandemic, or not enough time to study due to working for financial support. That could be mentioned in a LOR. Where I'm at, there's a spot for this on the application.

I hope that programs see your strengths like significant research experience (congrats on the IRTA!). You probably also have the ability to talk about your research in a way that shows you deeply understand it and have a well-stated plan for integration into your clinical life (or will get to this point through the IRTA). I have heard that some program directors will be honest about how the MCAT is considered at their institution. When you are at the NIH, maybe your research mentor can even reach out on your behalf. Like the others said, applying broadly may help because people on the same committee can have opposing viewpoints, and you never know unless you apply. Good luck!

Last edited: