Applying to advanced Anesthesia positions as a PGY-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiko3214

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an osteopathic medical student who failed to match into anesthesia this year and was wanting to apply again next year for an advanced program. I am going to do a traditional rotating internship and was not sure how to go about reapplying as an intern.

If anyone was in the same boat, did you get more interviews as an intern compared to being a medical student? I'm just curious to know if my chances are diminished since I didn't not match this year.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know which programs hold the positions outside the match?

Look for PGY2 openings all year long. They can pop up ANY time. Several big name schools like Penn have the funding to take on another resident (usually 2nd career tho). People drop out, get preggers and change residency. Write to EVERY program you want (you can email but a letter says better)(every one!!!). Most will tell you good luck but one may not, and have you get in outside the match (as I did:)). Many programs have someone who "sneaked in", but they are in nonetheless. Keep in touch with osteopathic programs...don't they have openings? (even if it is Michigan or Oklahoma, LOL:p). Way, way too soon to stop looking if you really want it. If you want it ANYWHERE in the US next year, I'd give you fantastic odds you'll get it. If you limit your location, well.... Keep your documents ready...you're not the first or last in that predicament. Start writing your letters TODAY!!!! BONNE CHANCE!!!