Applying for residency and license eligibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kavity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to apply to residency programs, and I'm seeing a lot of "Must be eligible for state dental license: Yes" program info websites. Can someone please explain to me how this works/what it means in terms of applying to an out-of-state program? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking to apply to residency programs, and I'm seeing a lot of "Must be eligible for state dental license: Yes" program info websites. Can someone please explain to me how this works/what it means in terms of applying to an out-of-state program? Thanks! :)
It means that you should plan ahead and only apply to programs in states where you would be eligible for licensure. Licensing exams are regional so “out of state” doesn’t mean much. Each exam is accepted in a certain amount of states. You should look into which exams are available at your school and see what states they are accepted in. From there, choose an exam and only apply to residencies that are in states that your licensing exam is accepted in.
This may help:
http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/clinical_test_states_accept.pdf?la=en

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering why this matters since I thought residencies didn't require licensure as they are usually in an academic setting(?)

Reactions: 1 user
It means that you should plan ahead and only apply to programs in states where you would be eligible for licensure. Licensing exams are regional so “out of state” doesn’t mean much. Each exam is accepted in a certain amount of states. You should look into which exams are available at your school and see what states they are accepted in. From there, choose an exam and only apply to residencies that are in states that your licensing exam is accepted in.
This may help:
http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/clinical_test_states_accept.pdf?la=en
Perfect, thank you!