Applying for MLOA but thinking of applying elsewhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theSAvet

Reaction score
I’ve been struggling at my current school because most of this semester as well as the previous semester. Today we had what’s called weekly “block exams” and I failed 2 of the 4. I made a deal with myself that if I failed two or more I would apply for a MLOA and that is what I will be doing tomorrow. While 2 out of 4 doesn’t seem bad, I’ve been studying really hard and seeking assistance and counseling for my mental health but is still came down to this.

I’m sad to be taking a break from pursuing my dream and my goal but I’m relieved that I’ll be leaving the school and the island. I know that more than anything I want to be a veterinarian. But I don’t think this school/island is a good fit for me or my mental/physical health.

That being said, I’d like to know if anyone has ever or have any experience with someone applying as a first time applicant while already enrolled at another school. I have no issues starting over as I believe that I will only become a more competent vet student with more exposure.

I appreciate and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’ve been struggling at my current school because most of this semester as well as the previous semester. Today we had what’s called weekly “block exams” and I failed 2 of the 4. I made a deal with myself that if I failed two or more I would apply for a MLOA and that is what I will be doing tomorrow. While 2 out of 4 doesn’t seem bad, I’ve been studying really hard and seeking assistance and counseling for my mental health but is still came down to this.

I’m sad to be taking a break from pursuing my dream and my goal but I’m relieved that I’ll be leaving the school and the island. I know that more than anything I want to be a veterinarian. But I don’t think this school/island is a good fit for me or my mental/physical health.

That being said, I’d like to know if anyone has ever or have any experience with someone applying as a first time applicant while already enrolled at another school. I have no issues starting over as I believe that I will only become a more competent vet student with more exposure.

I appreciate and advice.
You wouldn't apply via VMCAS. Youd have to contact the schools youre interested in to discuss transfer student policies. Even if you're on a MLOA, you're still a student. After you decide which schools you'd be willing to move to, you'd fill out their application and submit it with transcripts. Most transfers aren't decided until late in the summer after the school has determined the class numbers (with the likelihood of someone dropping down a class or exiting the program entirely)

Reactions: 2 users

I appreciate and advice.

I don’t know that I would pursue transfer until you’ve sorted through (or at least started down the path to addressing) your mental health issues. You will not be a good transfer candidate with failing exam grades, and schools will want to know that you’ve done something to address the reason behind your LOA. Take the time to work on yourself; “more exposure” means just another pressure cooker environment, even if it’s in a preferable location. There are many transfers from island schools each year because students don’t like the island life, but they will be competitive seats and no guaranteed numbers.

Reactions: 2 users