Applying and reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_OneDay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings, all.

I'm a recent college grad, and I plan on taking two years off to improve my application. My original plan was to take about 25 credits science classes to boost sGPA and cGPA and get a 510+ on MCAT, and apply in June 2016 for a spot in med school.

I realized that I may need one more year to get a stronger application, but I was thinking of applying to maybe 2-3 schools with lower stats, just to see if I could get in. If I don't, I plan on reapplying the next year (while either taking more post bacc classes or joining SMP).

What are your thoughts/ opinions about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings, all.

I'm a recent college grad, and I plan on taking two years off to improve my application. My original plan was to take about 25 credits science classes to boost sGPA and cGPA and get a 510+ on MCAT, and apply in June 2016 for a spot in med school.

I realized that I may need one more year to get a stronger application, but I was thinking of applying to maybe 2-3 schools with lower stats, just to see if I could get in. If I don't, I plan on reapplying the next year (while either taking more post bacc classes or joining SMP).

Being a re-applicant is a fairly large ding on your application. Any school that you apply to again, you will put yourself at a larger disadvantage. Thus, you are overall lowering your chances of getting in the second time around. You should plan on applying once and when you do so, putting yourself in the best possible position that one time. Applying to a few 'test' schools does not do you any favors.

Reactions: 1 users
Greetings, all.

My thoughts: That's just stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings, all.

Take it from personal experience: Apply once and apply when you are at your best.

The cost of this whole process is huge and I'd rather settle on spending a reapplication cycle amount on a trip to Cancun and perhaps even the world ;)

Please take your time and improve your app, reapplying is the worst. The application cycle is like vacationing in hell for the better part of a year so why would you willingly put yourself up for that twice?