Applied for residency (mostly NY), but don't really understand the strength of the programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would be your top choice?

• Temple

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Stony Brook

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • SUNY Downstate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lenox Hill

• Winthrop

• St. Luke's

• Rutgers, New Brunswick

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

busyboy87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a 4th year student and I just started the residency interview trail. Due to family considerations etc. I ended up applying to a bunch of places on the east coast without really doing good research on the programs. Now I'm interviewing and I feel bad for not spending more time making my list :(

I was wondering if you guys know anything about these programs? I'm going into internal medicine, and I was leaning towards a fellowship after residency. Some of the schools I've heard back from ->
- Stony Brook University
- St. Luke's Roosevelt, NYC
- SUNY Downstate University
- Winthrop University
- Lenox Hill
- Temple University
- Rutgers, New Brunswick

Haven't heard back from the main ones in NYC .... I guess I'm still hoping for a miracle.

Any insight on what programs you guys would rate highly? Do any of these have major red flags? I've just been looking at the fellowship match lists and board pass rate... but not much else. Any info would put my mind to ease.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stony Brook > SUNY Downstate. Stony Brook is on the rise. Their current PGY-2 and 3's are mostly DO and IMG, but I heard that their current interns are mostly AMGs. Ancillary staff is better than SUNY by far. Location leaves some to be desired since you're all the way out in the 'burbs (about 1.5-2hr drive from downtown NYC, same distance as Yale!). Lots of residents pursue in-house fellowships (GI, cards). Lots of $$, actively recruiting. Current chair of medicine is from Emory, GI trained. Supposedly a large bone marrow transplant population. Ethnicity and cultural diversity is lacking. I can't speak to the range of pathology you'll see, but it has a huge catchment zone. Current PD seems devoted to resident wellness. Weird 4+1 format where most rotations are 2wks (so you'll do 2 wks of wards, 2 wks of specialty, 1 wk of ambulatory). MICU is 4wks.

Depending on where you look, SDN seems to have a love-hate relationship with Downstate. You'll get to see lots of pathology since you'll rotate through the county hospital, but there's so much scut work. If anything, you'll learn to be more efficient.

SLR, Lenox Hill and Winthrop are community hospitals with ties to academic places. Of the three, I would say SLR is probably the best because of it's location (right next to Columbia University's undergrad/main campus in Morningside Heights) and association with MSSM. Fellowship list looks alright too.

Lenox Hill associated with Hofstra -currently on a war path to buy failing hospitals in the city. Winthrop is with Stony Brook - I know nothing about this program but the bios of the chief residents is pretty impressive, so is their publication list.

I know nothing about Temple (in philly) and Rutgers.

Reactions: 1 users
Stony Brook > SUNY Downstate. Stony Brook is on the rise. Their current PGY-2 and 3's are mostly DO and IMG, but I heard that their current interns are mostly AMGs. Ancillary staff is better than SUNY by far. Location leaves some to be desired since you're all the way out in the 'burbs (about 1.5-2hr drive from downtown NYC, same distance as Yale!). Lots of residents pursue in-house fellowships (GI, cards). Lots of $$, actively recruiting. Current chair of medicine is from Emory, GI trained. Supposedly a large bone marrow transplant population. Ethnicity and cultural diversity is lacking. I can't speak to the range of pathology you'll see, but it has a huge catchment zone. Current PD seems devoted to resident wellness. Weird 4+1 format where most rotations are 2wks (so you'll do 2 wks of wards, 2 wks of specialty, 1 wk of ambulatory). MICU is 4wks.

Depending on where you look, SDN seems to have a love-hate relationship with Downstate. You'll get to see lots of pathology since you'll rotate through the county hospital, but there's so much scut work. If anything, you'll learn to be more efficient.

SLR, Lenox Hill and Winthrop are community hospitals with ties to academic places. Of the three, I would say SLR is probably the best because of it's location (right next to Columbia University's undergrad/main campus in Morningside Heights) and association with MSSM. Fellowship list looks alright too.

Lenox Hill associated with Hofstra -currently on a war path to buy failing hospitals in the city. Winthrop is with Stony Brook - I know nothing about this program but the bios of the chief residents is pretty impressive, so is their publication list.

I know nothing about Temple (in philly) and Rutgers.
Thank you so much. Should I be putting any weight on the average step scores of the residents? And the board pass rate? I interviewed at SLR and found out that 60% of their residents are AMG's. Wasn't too excited about that but otherwise it seemed like a good program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.