Applicants Up 8% This Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1643661027969.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Never fear

I AM GLAD TO REPORT

the trend is still significant...

Although another rise in 2023 will definitely mean chairs and PD's can say "We are A-OK"

T1lF3Fh.png

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Never fear

I AM GLAD TO REPORT

the trend is still significant...

Although another rise in 2023 will definitely mean chairs and PD's can say "We are A-OK"

T1lF3Fh.png
Really should just include US Seniors to measure interest.

Reactions: 1 users
Crazy to see how many US MD seniors go unmatched in stuff like EM and Psych

This is the shocking table. Percent unmatched is not comparable to any other field. This is beyond non-competitive. It is indicative of a field willing to match anyone. There is a baseline group of people who probably shouldn't match into anything (our system does close to zero vetting for med school graduation after admission) or has absurd expectations (desire residency in particular town with low med school performance) and this number is greater than 0.8%.

Reactions: 8 users
Uh, yeah - correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at that table. 99.2% Matched is the highest number ever for that metric, which means RadOnc is currently the least competitive specialty in the last 17 years from all those specialties measured.

We're #1 in something!

Uh, yeah - correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at that table. 99.2% Matched is the highest number ever for that metric, which means RadOnc is currently the least competitive specialty in the last 17 years from all those specialties measured.

We're #1 in something!
It looked to be 100% last year. 86/86

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
The other interesting point is that percent matched not totally indicative of competitiveness in a small and competitive field. I matched around 2007 and interviewed folks around 2011-2014. While competitive when I matched, the candidates from the latter era (for my program at least) were better than we were, but match rate notably higher.

They self selected and more spots were made available.

The radonc match rate increased monotonically up through 2018 (all good years). The field was literally expanding to let in every qualified candidate. No other field behaved this way. (Not sure what's up with derm, but not relatable. I'm desperate for community derms as is most of rural America.)

It's official. We are the laughingstock, the Washington Generals of medical specialities.

• Haha
Very few people in private practice know or even care which specialties are competitive. My radonc partner has no idea any of this has been going on, for example. No medoncs in our practice know, and certainly the surg oncs, breast surgeons, urologists, etc have no idea and would not give one iota of a damn if they did.

The "hierarchy" of specialties that seems so critical in academic medicine (or at the very least palpable) does not exist where I practice. Very refreshing.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's official. We are the laughingstock, the Washington Generals of medical specialities.
The Generals are fully aware of their losing ways and incompetency. I think the better comparison sadly is...the Washington Football Team.

Come to think of it, Daniel Snyder would probably be an unusually good fit with the ABR. Might lead up a campaign to start suing applicants and residents who speak out of turn about the specialty.

Reactions: 2 users
The Generals are fully aware of their losing ways and incompetency. I think the better comparison sadly is...the Washington Football Team.

Come to think of it, Daniel Snyder would probably be an unusually good fit with the ABR. Might lead up a campaign to start suing applicants and residents who speak out of turn about the specialty.
Heh...Snyder is a miserable human being

Very few people in private practice know or even care which specialties are competitive. My radonc partner has no idea any of this has been going on, for example. No medoncs in our practice know, and certainly the surg oncs, breast surgeons, urologists, etc have no idea and would not give one iota of a damn if they did.

The "hierarchy" of specialties that seems so critical in academic medicine (or at the very least palpable) does not exist where I practice. Very refreshing.
Even many Med students I have had - MD and DO - were shocked. This info must be kinda niche … thanks for ‘stache love, my friend!

Or is rad onc the dallas cowboys (same division). Every year is year things get better yet we sink deeper into bottomless hellpit.

I would be interested to see the NRMP data for step 1 scores… i suspect there is SOME degree of self-selection

As an aside… if massive contraction of residencies is too painful, what about someone like ASTRO or ACR creating some exclusive accreditation for rad onc residencies? Create a two tier system to help the more qualified applicants get jobs down the road? I guess, to some extent, the residency name does that already.

I would be interested to see the NRMP data for step 1 scores… i suspect there is SOME degree of self-selection

As an aside… if massive contraction of residencies is too painful, what about someone like ASTRO or ACR creating some exclusive accreditation for rad onc residencies? Create a two tier system to help the more qualified applicants get jobs down the road? I guess, to some extent, the residency name does that already.

sounds like worthless hellhole programs like MUSC, Baylor, and Jefferson grads won't even pass muster for the palliative care network

How one gets the data on dual applicants, and when these data come out for 2021-22 ?