App for finding antibiotics based on pathogen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesBond15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an app (for Android) where I can type in the pathogen (or maybe even just "gram neg rods" for example) and it will list the antibiotics that will cover that?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

none for now. Could write one tho :)

I don't know of one's existence, I think your gonna have to rely on clinical knowledge. Metro for anaerobes below the belt, Macrolides for community acquired pneumonia, things like that.

One thing I have noticed is that everyone in hospitals uses commercial names for drugs, while in school and for boards they only use the generic names. Metronidazole is called Flagyl, and Ceftriaxone is called Rocephin, stuff like that. Having and medscape app or something similar is a must.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Hopkins antibiotic guide is available for Android, and is a great resource. I paid for the full version on mine; not sure if you have to pay to use it, though.

Doesn't epocrates have something like that? The "ID Tx" thing?

The Hopkins antibiotic guide is available for Android, and is a great resource. I paid for the full version on mine; not sure if you have to pay to use it, though.

Check to see if your school subscribes to Ucentral on the iphone/android. The Hopkins guide is part of that package I believe.