AOA Internship II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Southy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the mis-post yesterday. I think I tried to post yesterday as the server went down.
What I was attempting to post was an inquiry regarding the acceptance of an AOA approved internship for PGY-1 in PMR programs. I've seen where RIC accepts an AOA internship, but curious if this is an exception.
How have the DO's out there in training dealt with this issue? Just matched straight NRMP?
Thanks for any info!
Southy

Members don't see this ad.

All of the programs I know of take AOA internship including Harvard, Kessler, and Jefferson on the East Coast.

I have yet to meet a DO resident that didn't do an aoa internship.

Thanks for the info njdevil. I was just worried b/c I'd heard that PMR might take 5 years total for a DO that wanted to do an AOA approved internship due to the AOA internship not fulfilling some sort of requirements for PM&R PGY-1 (vague I know, sorry). I want to do an AOA internship, but matching one straight into PM&R sounds a whole lot simpler... advantages, disadvantages?

On another note, maybe someone could shead some light on how to go about landing a spot in PM&R. I'm talking class ranks, board scores, and "do research" kind of advice... I'd like to know more about the process. For example, say you wanted to go to program X, I assume you would do an elective in that dept. as an MS IV of course, but what about your internship year? Do internships generally offer away electives? Any personal testimonies out there regarding the process?

What other speciality field electives are recommended to prepare yourself for PM&R. Derm? Rheum? Sports med? Any others?

I apologize in advance for my ignorance, and thanks for any information/advice
-Southy