AO Screw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krabmas

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know what AO stands for in front of screw?

Almost every pod uses AO screws and most don't know what it stands for.

I found out a few days ago and was shocked. Before I post the answer I am interested to see how many other people know or can find out.

Members don't see this ad.

krabmas said:
Does anyone out there know what AO stands for in front of screw?

Almost every pod uses AO screws and most don't know what it stands for.

I found out a few days ago and was shocked. Before I post the answer I am interested to see how many other people know or can find out.

Algemeinshaft fur osteosynthesefragen.

diabeticfootdr said:
Algemeinshaft fur osteosynthesefragen.

I should have known you'd be the first to post.

That is what I found also when I searched the web. It took a while since I could not find any free articles (I was at home) that had it written out.

Members don't see this ad :)
krabmas said:
I should have known you'd be the first to post.

That is what I found also when I searched the web. It took a while since I could not find any free articles (I was at home) that had it written out.

Ha ha, no hard feelings, I studied in Germany for a year and did a surgical practicum.

But I bet you're right, not many know what it stands for -- try and get them to pronounce it!!

Arbeitsgemeinschaft Osteosynthesefragen.
English translation:
Association for the Study of Internal Fixation, though I think a more literal translation would be something along the lines of Working Group for the Study of Bone Fragment Fusion.

diabeticfootdr said:
Ha ha, no hard feelings, I studied in Germany for a year and did a surgical practicum.

But I bet you're right, not many know what it stands for -- try and get them to pronounce it!!

Where did you study in Germany? And do you know what Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Osteosynthesefragen means in English?

efs said:
Arbeitsgemeinschaft Osteosynthesefragen.
English translation:
Association for the Study of Internal Fixation, though I think a more literal translation would be something along the lines of Working Group for the Study of Bone Fragment Fusion.

Oh you're right . . . algemeinshaft = business

see krabmas, i can admit when i'm incorrect :)

diabeticfootdr said:
Oh you're right . . . algemeinshaft = business

see krabmas, i can admit when i'm incorrect :)

Ha Ha Ha Ha :laugh:

Every where I looked for Arbeitsgemeinschaft it came up with association so I assume that it is german for association even if we USians would say it means working group. The German language is crazy.