Anyone Else Using the APhA Book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RX8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to realize this book is ridiculously detailed. I'm looking at the Nutrition chapter right now and I honestly can't believe some of the things they are listing here. Anybody else finding this book to be too cumbersome? Some of the chapters are solid but all-in-all I think it's too detailed for my liking.

Aside from TPN calculations, do they even ASK about nutrition on the NAPLEX?

Members don't see this ad.

my buddy just took the naplex, he said apha book was overkill, and he wishes he had just studied the kaplan book. although he wasnt to confident after taking the test he scored a 130. pretty good for someone who thought he failed

Amen, I'd be thrilled with a 130. All I want to do is pass, I don't really care what my score is so long as I don't have to ever retake the exam :laugh:

The APhA book is way too detailed for the NAPLEX. Buy the kaplan review book either online somewhere.

The APhA book will probably guarantee you a higher score, but if you just want to pass, stick with kaplan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm studying just the APHA book too...but man as soon as I start another chapter I forget everything I read the previous chapter....HELP!!!!!!!

I'm studying just the APHA book too...but man as soon as I start another chapter I forget everything I read the previous chapter....HELP!!!!!!!

It's not about memorizing every little thing that you read, just try to make sure you get the gist of everything. If you want, you can make your own notes of little bits of information (certain ADEs, interactions, etc) and study that before the exam.

Don't get overwhelmed, it's really not that bad of a test.

I used the Kaplan book and nothing else. It was not as detailed as the apha book, meaning some topics and drugs were not covered. I seriously thought I failed the Naplex but still passed with a good score, it wasn't a great score i.e. 130s but I was happy enough :)

I'm beginning to realize this book is ridiculously detailed. I'm looking at the Nutrition chapter right now and I honestly can't believe some of the things they are listing here. Anybody else finding this book to be too cumbersome? Some of the chapters are solid but all-in-all I think it's too detailed for my liking.

Aside from TPN calculations, do they even ASK about nutrition on the NAPLEX?

I read the first 5 chapters of the apha book and couldnt do it..... So I used prontopass and I passed. I also have RXprep study material that was provided by my future employer (which I did not use). Since I'm done with the naplex I dont need my prontopass material anymore. If any one is interested in them PM me or email me.

SOOO???
I am reading Apha book and is killing me!!
Just finished the Arryhthmia chapter and did not like it at all,shall I just read pronto pass instead??
Thanks

I passed using the APhA, honestly you're better off doing the questions and only reviewing the chapters in which you did poorly.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply,however I am still puzzled by all this information???
Do I concentrate on drugs?Disease?.......
Thanks

Knowing the disease states never hurt, but you're going to be a drug-expert so your focus should be on the drugs.