Any UOP pre-dental students out there who did not attend UOP's Duggoni dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaledachilka

Reaction score
Are there any UOP pre-dental students who did not attend UOP's Duggoni dental school? If yes, please share where you chose to go for dental school. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any UOP pre-dental students who did not attend UOP's Duggoni dental school? If yes, please share where you chose to go for dental school. Thanks
curious why you are asking this since you are at OSU...

Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted to OSU undergraduate and also at UOP after being waitlisted. I was planning on going to OSU, but I am wondering if UOP might be a better option since I was told that OSU might prefer in-state students to their dental and residency programs. Regarding UOP, I hear that their pre-dental advantage program is not like it used to be, and a lot more students are accepted now. That to me means that many UOP undergrad students will rely on applying to dental schools other than Dugoni, hence I am trying to reach out to students who did their undergrad at UOP but were successful in going to dental school's other than UOPs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to OSU undergraduate and also at UOP after being waitlisted. I was planning on going to OSU, but I am wondering if UOP might be a better option since I was told that OSU might prefer in-state students to their dental and residency programs. Regarding UOP, I hear that their pre-dental advantage program is not like it used to be, and a lot more students are accepted now. That to me means that many UOP undergrad students will rely on applying to dental schools other than Dugoni, hence I am trying to reach out to students who did their undergrad at UOP but were successful in going to dental school's other than UOPs.
oh
you are currently in high school?

which predental advantage program were you accepted into?
oh, i didn't know you get selected after your first year of undergrad for each cohort...

Yes, I'm starting college in the Fall this year and choosing between different programs and schools. There's UOP 6+6, NOVA 4+4, UNE 3+4, UDM, and regular biology programs like OSU, Merced, Rugers, UCONN, and Riverside. Location doesn't matter much, but the school and program do. Right now, I'm interested in OSU and UOP, but it's tough to decide. I like UOP because it feels academically decent to me and has a program with its dental school. But it's not guaranteed, and I don't want to risk missing out on other dental schools like UCLA, UCSD, Tufts, BU, or NYU etc. (as I am not sure how they will view an undergrad degree from UOP being competitive enough or not) and especially when UOP's pre-dental program is now accepting a greater number of students, potentially making it harder to get into their own dental school.

Sorry for the long message.

which predental advantage program were you accepted into?
oh, i didn't know you get selected after your first year of undergrad for each cohort...
Yes, I'm starting college in the Fall this year and choosing between different programs and schools. There's UOP 6+6, NOVA 4+4, UNE 3+4, UDM, and regular biology programs like OSU, Merced, Rugers, UCONN, and Riverside. Location doesn't matter much, but the school and program do. Right now, I'm interested in OSU and UOP, but it's tough to decide. I like UOP because it feels academically decent to me and has a program with its dental school. But it's not guaranteed, and I don't want to risk missing out on other dental schools like UCLA, UCSD, Tufts, BU, or NYU etc. (as I am not sure how they will view an undergrad degree from UOP being competitive enough or not) and especially when UOP's pre-dental program is now accepting a greater number of students, potentially making it harder to get into their own dental school.

don't do nova une or udm

you are correct that OSU is going to favor ohio residents, but it will count some if you get to know people at the d school
UOP is a good undergrad if you are ok with living in stockton

Thanks for the advice. @macsak, do you happen to be a student at UOP or have any insight into how rigorous their undergrad program is?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. @macsak, do you happen to be a student at UOP or have any insight into how rigorous their undergrad program is?
Hello I’m a current UOP undegrad in the Pre-Dental Advantage Program. I can tell you more about the program so you can gauge whether it will be a good investment and fit for you.

Hello I’m a current UOP undegrad in the Pre-Dental Advantage Program. I can tell you more about the program so you can gauge whether it will be a good investment and fit for you.
Thank you so much, @panda56. I'll start a conversation.

I know a student who is at UOP’s 3+3 program. According to his parents (who are my friends), his DAT score is just average but his GPA is very good. UOP dental school gave him a very late interview and then they put him on a waitlist. Fortunately, he got accepted to 2 other dental schools. I believe he’ll commit to UNLV because this dental school will grant him the NV resident status after the first year and he will pay the in-state tuitions from years 2-4.

So there’s no guarantee that you will get into UOP dental school if you go to this UOP’s 3+3 BS/DDS program. And the undergrad tuition fees at UOP are very high. I think it’s better to go to your state school (and live with your parents) to save money. Try not to take out loans for your undergrad education.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding the fee, I understand that its about 72k a year but most students get at least 20k scholarship, so its 52k for three years, that puts it out to roughly 160k, and my state school is 140k. For some people that could be a significant difference and I understand that, but there are other scholarships and aids that might be available. I have read the same, that undergrad is expensive at UOP and I've always tried to understand by how much is it expensive and that I must be missing something.

Regarding the fee, I understand that its about 72k a year but most students get at least 20k scholarship, so its 52k for three years, that puts it out to roughly 160k, and my state school is 140k. For some people that could be a significant difference and I understand that, but there are other scholarships and aids that might be available. I have read the same, that undergrad is expensive at UOP and I've always tried to understand by how much is it expensive and that I must be missing something.
are you sure about that "most students" statement?
oh, wait, are you talking aobut undergrad or dental school?

I am sure I'm missing something. There is no school that I have seen where you can complete your undergraduate with less than 120K for 4 years and most are in 150-180k range and there are many beyond 200k, unless you are getting lots of scholarships or qualified for a substantial grant via FAFSA.

What do you think an average student is paying for their undergrad at an average school these days?

I am sure I'm missing something. There is no school that I have seen where you can complete your undergraduate with less than 120K for 4 years and most are in 150-180k range and there are many beyond 200k, unless you are getting lots of scholarships or qualified for a substantial grant via FAFSA.

What do you think an average student is paying for their undergrad at an average school these days?
You can get an undergraduate degree for 40k - CC is very affordable and transfer your last 2 years at a smaller satellite state school and you can get out with less than 40k easily. I have people in dental school who owed less than 20k in loans and got nothing from parents. Going to these big name brand schools thinking your degree is worth more than going to a smaller school is exactly what those schools want you to think. Your bachelor's degree doesn't get you very far nor does where you go to undergrad matter. What you're paying for is connections, not the degree. And if you're trying to go to dental school where the average amount of loans is 350-400k, you really don't want that 150k of undergrad loans sitting and accruing a ton of interest while in school.

Idk where you're trying to go to undergrad, but in the Midwest, we can get out of undergrad for under 100k pretty easily. I had 50k, my buddy had 70k, and my other buddy didn't have loans. It's possible if you're willing to go to a smaller school, or a state school that isn't absurdly expensive.

Where I am, I'm seeing people graduate in the 40-80k range. I know no one that has over 100k from undergrad.

Reactions: 1 users
You can get an undergraduate degree for 40k - CC is very affordable and transfer your last 2 years at a smaller satellite state school and you can get out with less than 40k easily. I have people in dental school who owed less than 20k in loans and got nothing from parents. Going to these big name brand schools thinking your degree is worth more than going to a smaller school is exactly what those schools want you to think. Your bachelor's degree doesn't get you very far nor does where you go to undergrad matter. What you're paying for is connections, not the degree. And if you're trying to go to dental school where the average amount of loans is 350-400k, you really don't want that 150k of undergrad loans sitting and accruing a ton of interest while in school.

Idk where you're trying to go to undergrad, but in the Midwest, we can get out of undergrad for under 100k pretty easily. I had 50k, my buddy had 70k, and my other buddy didn't have loans. It's possible if you're willing to go to a smaller school, or a state school that isn't absurdly expensive.

Where I am, I'm seeing people graduate in the 40-80k range. I know no one that has over 100k from undergrad.
I see, yes via CC you are correct that you will save substantial money. I was considering most OOS schools or private universities. The problem is that these dual programs provide some advantage, i.e. better chance at getting into a good dental school and for a student to leave that opportunity becomes difficult in today's competitive world.

I see, yes via CC you are correct that you will save substantial money. I was considering most OOS schools or private universities. The problem is that these dual programs provide some advantage, i.e. better chance at getting into a good dental school and for a student to leave that opportunity becomes difficult in today's competitive world.
Honestly, I’d attend your state school unless you have guaranteed acceptance to a dental school with minimal requirements. Some of those 3+4/4+4 programs don’t necessarily make it easy for you. But if that’s an option you want to take, it’s your call

if you can succeed at an early admittance program, you can likely succeed at any undergrad...

Seriously money can be saved on undergrad!

In CA community colleges are now free. A CSU charges about 10k in yearly tuition, which can be offset by part time work. Your degree can be had for $20k+ living costs.

That’s what I did and how I paid my way through undergrad and graduated with $0 debt.

And now I’m sharing the same dental school classroom with Ivy league graduates and people who spent hundreds of thousands for the “college experience.”

So yeah I don’t understand the UOP predental program. Save a ton of money and go to a CA state school, even if it’s a CSU as that won’t affect your dental school admissions at all. As a matter of fact you’ll have a better support system, opportunities to change your career path if you wish, and much better extracurriculars. The CSU I went to has a small pre-dental club where each year for the past few years students get into some of the best dental schools in the nation.