Any tips for an aspiring oncologist

Tredoubur

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore in high school and I'm wanting to hear any tips that anyone has that may give me an extra edge when applying to colleges and medical school. I know things like volunteering and taking special science courses would be nice to put on an application but I'm still looking for any help that I can get. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A majority of what you engage in during high school will have little influence on whether or not you get into medical school.

I suggest that you focus on your studies so that you can begin to develop good study habits now, do well on the SAT/ACT (these scores are also seen by medical schools and are a small-representation of your test-taking capabilities), do well in college, and expose yourself to different activities. I mention the last point because upon entering college you can pursue the "pre-med" route with any major and it's okay to have more than one interest. Or if you're 100% set on doing the traditional science degree + medical school, then seek shadowing opportunities or healthcare opportunities so you can expose yourself to what it means to be a physician or in the healthcare field - note that your ambitions to become an oncologist may be subject to change as your undergo your undergraduate and medical education.

Reactions: 1 user
A majority of what you engage in during high school will have little influence on whether or not you get into medical school.

I suggest that you focus on your studies so that you can begin to develop good study habits now, do well on the SAT/ACT (these scores are also seen by medical schools and are a small-representation of your test-taking capabilities), do well in college, and expose yourself to different activities. I mention the last point because upon entering college you can pursue the "pre-med" route with any major and it's okay to have more than one interest. Or if you're 100% set on doing the traditional science degree + medical school, then seek shadowing opportunities or healthcare opportunities so you can expose yourself to what it means to be a physician or in the healthcare field - note that your ambitions to become an oncologist may be subject to change as your undergo your undergraduate and medical education.

Alright thank you for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't already have an answer to a potential essay question that asks "what challenges have you faced?" then try to create some, especially through your extracurriculars. Volunteer with underserved, potentially non-English speaking communities. Do the volunteer work that most people don't want to do (like involving physical labor). This will help you show maturity, something that can be kind of rare in college applicants sometimes.

I'm a sophomore in high school and I'm wanting to hear any tips that anyone has that may give me an extra edge when applying to colleges and medical school. I know things like volunteering and taking special science courses would be nice to put on an application but I'm still looking for any help that I can get. Thanks!
Get into college, do well and then think about med school.

Reactions: 2 users
If you don't already have an answer to a potential essay question that asks "what challenges have you faced?" then try to create some, especially through your extracurriculars. Volunteer with underserved, potentially non-English speaking communities. Do the volunteer work that most people don't want to do (like involving physical labor). This will help you show maturity, something that can be kind of rare in college applicants sometimes.

Excellent! Thank you

Go have some fun. Yea

My tips for you are:
1.) Have fun
2.) Get into college
3.) Take the MCAT
4.) Get an interview to medical school
5.) Get accepted
6.) Decide your speciality during your last 2 years of medical school.

Also, if it interests you get your EMT like I did. It gives you a great base of knowledge.

Last edited:
Gee thanks for the help

That's the best advice you're gonna get honestly. Undergrad to med school is the biggest barrier to entry for you. Matching into IM from med school is one of the least competitive areas I'm not sure about an oncology fellowship though.

That's the best advice you're gonna get honestly. Undergrad to med school is the biggest barrier to entry for you. Matching into IM from med school is one of the least competitive areas I'm not sure about an oncology fellowship though.
I would have to second this comment. I said the same exact thing, but I broke it down.

Lol nice response because Goro is actually a med school admin.
Isn't that just the best? OP has no clue and says "gee thanks" to a med school admin who might review his app someday... Nice OP, making connections already.

Gee thanks for the help

If you don't like realistic advice, feel free to not look for it here. Beats asking and then being sarcastic in response as if anyone here owes you anything. By all means, indulge in your interest, but don't delude yourself into thinking what you do now is going to be all that consequential come med school / residency / fellowship application time, assuming you stay the course.

I rarely read or respond to hSDN and pre-allopathic threads because of nonsense like this and/or nonsense threads. I doubt I'm alone in that.

Reactions: 2 users
If you don't like realistic advice, feel free to not look for it here. Beats asking and then being sarcastic in response as if anyone here owes you anything. By all means, indulge in your interest, but don't delude yourself into thinking what you do now is going to be all that consequential come med school / residency / fellowship application time, assuming you stay the course.

I rarely read or respond to hSDN and pre-allopathic threads because of nonsense like this and/or nonsense threads. I doubt I'm alone in that.
Rest assured, you are not the only one.

Which kind of oncology are you referring to?

Keep in mind that there are many ways to be an oncologist.
- Medical oncologists are what most people think of when they think of oncologist. They often prescribe chemotherapy. This is a fellowship after IM. It's not terribly competitive, although certain hospitals obviously have more competitive fellowships (Sloan Kettering, MD Anderson, Harvard).

- Surgical oncologists perform surgery on tumors. This includes breast surgeons, who focus on (duh) breast cancer. Surgical oncology can be quite competitive. It is a fellowship after general surgery. You can also do a dedicated breast surgery fellowship instead.

- Radiation oncologists prescribe radiation treatment plans for cancer patients. They also focus almost exclusively on cancer. This is NOT a fellowship; this is its own dedicated residency. It is quite competitive and difficult to get into.

You can also specialize in cancer from urology (urological cancers - testicular, penile, scrotum, and kidney) or OB/gyn (Gynecologic Oncology - ovaries, uterus, vagina, vulvar). Gyn Onc is extremely competitive, as an FYI. Neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons often have dedicated cancer fellowship tracks as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Which kind of oncology are you referring to?

Keep in mind that there are many ways to be an oncologist.
- Medical oncologists are what most people think of when they think of oncologist. They often prescribe chemotherapy. This is a fellowship after IM. It's not terribly competitive, although certain hospitals obviously have more competitive fellowships (Sloan Kettering, MD Anderson, Harvard).

- Surgical oncologists perform surgery on tumors. This includes breast surgeons, who focus on (duh) breast cancer. Surgical oncology can be quite competitive. It is a fellowship after general surgery. You can also do a dedicated breast surgery fellowship instead.

- Radiation oncologists prescribe radiation treatment plans for cancer patients. They also focus almost exclusively on cancer. This is NOT a fellowship; this is its own dedicated residency. It is quite competitive and difficult to get into.

You can also specialize in cancer from urology (urological cancers - testicular, penile, scrotum, and kidney) or OB/gyn (Gynecologic Oncology - ovaries, uterus, vagina, vulvar). Gyn Onc is extremely competitive, as an FYI. Neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons often have dedicated cancer fellowship tracks as well.

I was referring to medical oncology because that's what I inferred form the thread. Should have been more specific! I appreciate the breakdown of what different types of oncologists do and I'm sure OP will too.

What about Hematology-Oncology? I'm sure someone is familiar.

Enjoy your life as much as possible while maintaining a strong work ethic . But you're young, now is a good time to make memories and have a few regrets.