Navy Any suggestions? What are my chances for IM (#1 choice) or FM (#2 choice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMMguru

Reaction score
Hello Community!

I am a current Medical student year 4, HPSP scholarship recipient, below avg student, with no leadership positions or research, but some extracurricular activities in the community during medical school. I did have quite a few leadership positions and research during undergrad (not sure how much will that help, prob not much). My COMLEX level 1 score was in the 450s and pending Level 2 (no Step).
As I did my clerkship during my 3rd year, I enjoyed so much Internal medicine and family medicine.
I am not super familiar how the military match work, but I was wondering with my current standing:

1. would it be okay to go with choice #1 IM and then #2 FM? (I don't mind either specialty, but If I got to choose I would love to train in IM). I just didn't want to miss the opportunity to match in either specialty if I made that choice.
2. Or would you suggest to go safe and put choice 1 FM and then IM?
3. Would you have a link or pdf that explains a bit how the military match works? (for some reason military GME website won't work)
4. Do you have any suggestions in terms of my choices and my current standing? (I really want to match)

Thank you all, your suggestions and advice is very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how they do it now, but back in the day....

#1 IM at MEDCEN A
#2 IM at MEDCEN B
#3 IM at MEDCEN C

Don't waste time doing FM rotations. If you want to do IM, do IM rotations.
I'm a little too late... all these rotations are set and cancelled 1-2 rotations, but IM are full (specific dates) or not letting me in... :( because I have no ADTs (NMCSD)

Thank you all for your answers. Really appreciate your time and help!
Another question: I have a Peds Audition rotation (in 60-90days) that I scheduled as soon as applications opened in December. Back then, I was interested in pediatrics, but now I no longer desire to pursue pediatrics but instead Internal medicine or FM. Would admin would frown upon if I cancel my Peds rotation and change to IM?
Both PEDS and IM are in the same hospital GME program.

Thank you for your suggestions and input!