Any practicing physicians of 6+ years ever wish they became a PA instead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent for the win

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been having an internal debate on what career choice is a better fit. I'm in my early 20's and I just started working in an ortho office. There are a fee PAs who have been practicing for a few years and have kids. They seem really happy with their decisions to be PAs. I've been comparing MD v PA a lot but it's hard to ask someone in real life if they regret their decision. I'm someone who like leadership positions but I also like having someone to collaborate with and ask questions to. I see that a lot of people say don't go into med school unless you're 100% in it but I also see people advise that PAs hit a ceiling at some point.

Another reason that I'm hesitant about med school is that I was a chem major in UG and I felt as though I learned more than I needed to to succeed in the field of chemistry. I know a large portion of med school revolves around step exams so I'm worried about burning out again.

From my observations being a PA is slightly more family friendly than be a surgeon. But I don't know how true this is with other specialties.

I don't want to make an immature decision by giving up on autonomy and more financial stability over the course of my career but I'm not sure how I feel sacrificing my late 20's and early 30's. There are events that just can't be made up at a later time like weddings or spending time with aging parents. And I worry about how connected I'll be with my family by the end of this. I come from a non med background and I already feel different as someone who majored in chem.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that I would never be truly happy taking orders from someone for the rest of my career. Never seriously considered an allied health career.

Reactions: 2 users
I've never wished I'd become a PA instead. However, some personalities are more suited to a PA. Autonomy and knowledge base are less as a PA, obviously. Something else to consider: if you go to med school, you essentially are in one field your entire career as you can't easily switch specialties. If you become a PA, you can change specialties throughout your career if you want.

Reactions: 1 user