any physicians serving thier NHSC committment? need advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyoussef03

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any physicians serving thier NHSC commitment? I just recieved the scholarship and have some questions that i would love to ask a scholar before i sign the contract....
i found the thread on interview advice in hte financial aid discussion group, but i need a bit more than that....thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The NHSC scholarship covers your tuition plus gives you a $1000K stipend a month in medical school to year 4. After that you need to go into a primary care speciality FP, IM, Psych, OB/Gyn, or Ped they allow IM/Peds. You must finish this residency and then serve for 4 years in the given residency specialoty you can not subspecialize prior to this. You can chhose your site of payback, the benefits are good and I believe the govt allows relocation expenses. It is a greaT PROGRAM I GRADUATED WITH 30k DEBT.
The downside you have to commit to the above residencies or face 300K penalty payable back in 1 yr. While in residency you can defer you loans that you do take out. The scholarship now thanks to Bush is no longer taxable income ( I had to pay 7K a year prior to the new law).

I would recommend it as it is not as stringent as military payback 6 yrs ( but unfortunately you are specialty limited)

Feel free to ask more

Diane

Look at the web site for listings of service commitment sites and see if you might want to work at any of them. It depends on what field you want to go into and how certain you are of your decision. Note, the list of sites is MUCH shorter for scholarships rather than loan repayment. Also note that the site selection rules can be changed on you after you have signed up.

The NHSC scholarship covers your tuition plus gives you a $1000K stipend a month in medical school to year 4. After that you need to go into a primary care speciality FP, IM, Psych, OB/Gyn, or Ped they allow IM/Peds. You must finish this residency and then serve for 4 years in the given residency specialoty you can not subspecialize prior to this. You can chhose your site of payback, the benefits are good and I believe the govt allows relocation expenses. It is a greaT PROGRAM I GRADUATED WITH 30k DEBT.
The downside you have to commit to the above residencies or face 300K penalty payable back in 1 yr. While in residency you can defer you loans that you do take out. The scholarship now thanks to Bush is no longer taxable income ( I had to pay 7K a year prior to the new law).

I would recommend it as it is not as stringent as military payback 6 yrs ( but unfortunately you are specialty limited)

Feel free to ask more

Diane

$1,000,000 a month stipend? I accepted the wrong scholarship!