Any MD/PhDs who applied for the PhD during medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guardian

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any medical students out there who applied for a PhD during their first or second year of medical school? How was your experience?

Hmmm maybe this should be posted in the allopathic forum, but it may get more attention here.

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't look like anyone has...but from what I hear, it's immensely easier to be an internal applicant. Schools are happy to let you pay the first two years tuition and living expenses. :)

My school isn't MSTP funded and this year my school has more MD/PhD students than they've had typically.

I've always been interested in research but I had my doubts. I was involved in a dead-end project for undergrad honors research under the supervision of a horrible advisor. I'll be doing research during the summer and based on how I feel about my capabilities (scientific and technical) and my professor's opinion I should have a good sense if this is something I'm cut out for.

Members don't see this ad :)
At UCSF, there are typically 1-2 MSTP applicants admitted from the 1st or 2nd year medical school class who apply second cycle. I am sure this holds at other schools as well. :D

I was an "in house" candidate, applying during the fall of 2nd year med school. My school, UCSD, typically saves a spot or two for in house candidates, depending on money. I don't know about other schools policies.

-mrp