Any info on DO neurosurgery programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

Kannen1979

HI, I'm a DO student who's thinking about Neurosurgery, and I'm wondering if anyone has any info about the competitiveness of the DO-specific programs out there (all 6!) especially Bloomington, IL? Since board scores aren't anything like they are for MD programs, what do they look for, what is important?

Also, for MD or DO programs, is being female a negative at all?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Kannen1979 said:
HI, I'm a DO student who's thinking about Neurosurgery, and I'm wondering if anyone has any info about the competitiveness of the DO-specific programs out there (all 6!) especially Bloomington, IL? Since board scores aren't anything like they are for MD programs, what do they look for, what is important?

Thanks!

Between lurking on here and on nsmatch, it seems like Arrowhead Regional in Colton, CA is a good one in the DO world; lots of cases, good teaching, etc etc. Do a search on Arrowhead here and hopefully you'll be able to glean more info from there.

Take a look at Brigham and Womens' Neurosurgery program; 3 female attendings, and just as many, if not more, residents. I dont see having an extra X bieng a major disability, but there again, I'm just a member of the peanut gallery at this piont in time...

I have heard good things about the Long Island Jewish Medical Center Program. I know the Program Director at PCOM personally, he was my faculty mentor during my time there-the program there was good back then (1993).

Members don't see this ad :)
Kannen1979 said:

Thanks!

Being a DO PGY1 in neurosurgery, if you have any questions, just PM me. I had many of the same questions last year.

2 females in philadelphia program presently, thinking of taking a third.
your chromosomes are not an issue
please refer to other DO postings in this section for more info