Any good books / resources on philosophy of medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

datboi_58

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m starting medical school in the fall and I’ve always been interested in the history of what I’m doing, why it is the way it is, how it should be, etc. That said, anyone have any good books they would recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Some good books include:

There are tons of books out there but I've handpicked three for you:

The Patient Will See You Now, by Eric Topol, MD

House of God, by Samuel Shem, MD, a classic.

The Nature of Clinical Medicine, by Eric Cassell, is exactly the type of book you want, with a serious but charming discussion.

Members don't see this ad :)
History of medicine: For American medicine, The Social Transformation of American Medicine by Paul Starr is an incredible book that outlines how the field of medicine developed to what it is today in America. The Great Influenza looks at the Spanish Flu, but also focuses on how the study of medicine radically changed around that time.

Philosophy of clinical medicine by doctors: Atul Gwande's Being Mortal and Paul Kalanithi's When Breath Becomes Air are both great books about medicine, life, and death. Siddhartha Mukherjee's The Emperor of All Maladies has some philosophy of medicine in it, and is otherwise a great and riveting read.

Philosophy of medicine and society by philosophers: Michel Foucault's The Birth of Biopolitics and Susan Sontag Illness as Metaphor.

Of all of these, I think Being Mortal is what you want, but these are all books that have heavily influenced the way I view the medical field. And especially for the current situation, The Great Influenza is a very relevant book.

Reactions: 1 users
An American Sickness: How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back - Elisabeth Rosenthal

"Incarnate Grace: Perspectives on the Ministry of Catholic Health Care" for a look at the intersection of Christian theology with medicine. I sadly have not had the chance to read this yet myself, and now it's stuck in my dorm room at school for the foreseeable future! But it was recommended to me by an oncologist I shadowed.

Reactions: 1 user
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman

I had to read this for an undergrad cultural anthropology class but I think it's a great (and extreme) example of the need for intercultural competence in medicine

Reactions: 2 users
An American Sickness: How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back - Elisabeth Rosenthal

As a devils advocate, I just also want to recommend the following book: False Premise, False Promise: The Disastrous Reality of Medicare for All by Sally C. Pipes

I am not taking a position here, however there are an overwhelming amount of books that really carve into our current system and the problems with capitalism in healthcare and insurance, etc etc. There are a lot less that deal with the effect of the opposite argument, and I think it is important if you read one you should read the other for the most informed perspectives.

In the bookstore I found this and was really surprised to see it because a majority of the medical related books I read all have a certain leaning and tempo and I enjoy all those books and find them all interesting and educating. It was the first time I had seen a book (and I read a lot because I am into medical history and medical bioethics as it has evolved over time) that openly refuted medicare for all and actually did it well. The book recommended in quote does a good job discussing how capitalism has ruined healthcare with examples and gives some discussion on ramifications and alternatives (I confess I've only read half of it, I jump back and forth a lot), however the book I recommended also discusses what a lot of people think the solution is and why it might not be quite as good as the promises hold.

Two competing experts both discuss the options we are facing as they see it and have completely different and rational, evidence-based perspectives. Interesting to think about.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, other than what I posted above, pretty much any of Atul Gawande's books are great reads - Complications, Being Mortal, Better, Checklist Manifesto. Highly second House of God.

For historical, there's
A short history of medicine by Steve Parker.
The Butchering Art by Lindsey Fitzharris : talks about the history of surgery essentially, a lot about Joseph Lister in particular.
Open Heart by Stephan Westaby discusses the beginning of open heart surgery and the use of external assist devices and how they evolved over time and his career, if you are interested in Cardiology.

Kill as Few Patients as Possible, by Oscar London.

Admittedly it's a bit on the sexist side at times, but aside from being entertaining, it actually has some good advice/perspectives.

Also, other than what I posted above, pretty much any of Atul Gawande's books are great reads - Complications, Being Mortal, Better, Checklist Manifesto. Highly second House of God.

For historical, there's
A short history of medicine by Steve Parker.
The Butchering Art by Lindsey Fitzharris : talks about the history of surgery essentially, a lot about Joseph Lister in particular.
Open Heart by Stephan Westaby discusses the beginning of open heart surgery and the use of external assist devices and how they evolved over time and his career, if you are interested in Cardiology.
On a side note to those who have read HoG, have you read his recent book Man's 4th Best Hospital? If you have, did you like it? I loved HoG but M4BH was painful to read to me, it felt like a New Yorker OpEd stretched out over 300 pages with the thinnest veil of a plot. I'm not sure if anyone currently practicing felt like it was more relevant, but to me it felt like it completely lost all the magic of HoG.