Any future possibility of a direct-entry Cardiology residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I won't be an MD for another 5 years - but when I am, I'd much rather get accepted into a hypothetical categorical cardiology residency program, than go thru the IM/Card route. Too much uncertainty, and I'd hate to be stuck as an internist.

Does anyone know how likely this is? Seems like a number of specialties have this in place already: neuro surgery, derm, plastic surg, radiology - why not cardiology?? I would much rather a 6 year integrated program over a 3 plus 3

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by TripleDegree
I won't be an MD for another 5 years - but when I am, I'd much rather get accepted into a hypothetical categorical cardiology residency program, than go thru the IM/Card route. Too much uncertainty, and I'd hate to be stuck as an internist.

Does anyone know how likely this is? Seems like a number of specialties have this in place already: neuro surgery, derm, plastic surg, radiology - why not cardiology?? I would much rather a 6 year integrated program over a 3 plus 3

Sounds like maybe you should look what MS3 year have to offer you before declaring yourself a pre-card. You are going to be miserable if you dont go in with an open mind.

Ever heard of ABIM integrated research pathway (ie. "fast track") cards?

Yeah, the chairperson at Thomas Jefferson told us that beginning this July, they are going to start re-offering their 2-2-2 program. This means 2 yrs of IM residency, 2 yrs of research, and 2 yrs of cards. You get into a cards fellowship during your internship year. He told us that 2-2-2 programs used to be around, but then they fell out of favor for a while, but now they are regaining in popularity and should be showing up at more programs as well. It's meant for people who want to do academics.