Any comments on Brown, Sheppard-Pratt, or Emory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quixote1974

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some information on the above programs--Brown, Sheppard-Pratt, Emory? I am especially interested in finding out about their psychotherapy training. Are any of these programs primarily biological in "orientation?" What about patient load and character...and diversity of experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard mixed things about Emory. One person told me that she didn't think it was a very resident-friendly program. Another thought very highly of the psychotherapy training (particularly if you compare to other schools in the south).

If you are referring to Sheppard Pratt in Maryland, that is no longer a program. Their program merged with the program at the University of Maryland, making it the largest psychiatry training program in the US. I've heard that it was an unfortunate merger, because prior to merging, Sheppard Pratt was probably one of the best places in the country to train as a psychotherapist. I'm afraid that my school's subpar psychiatry training program with their heavy emphasis on treating the addicted population of Baltimore city has kind of ruined it.