Any books to read to develop better vocabulary and writing ability (PCAT)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ma222

Reaction score
So I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question- maybe so, maybe not. Anyhow, I'm currently studying for the PCAT (taking this July) and while I'm doing all the usuals: Dr. Collins chem and math, Kaplan bio, got the Pearson practice tests, etc. I was wondering if, mainly for the essay portion but for critical thinking as well, there were some novels/books recommendations from anyone. Just a favorite novel that would be an interesting read and would make me a better writer and increase my vocabulary toolebelt and overall make me a better thinker/faster reader/etc. I used to read all the time when I was younger and had great vocabulary and writing skills... but that's slowly and surely faded as I grew (and used my cell phone more). Instead of ending my days of studying by scrolling through instagram until I sleep, I think a book would be helpful, like killing two birds with one stone you know? Basically, if there's any book recommendations (I'm not picky about the genre) feel free to drop them below!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really think of any good reading materials of the moment.

Since the essay portion is usually about a modern, controversial issue, I'm trying to catch up on current events in healthcare and politics. Then I take notes of what people on each side of the issue is saying, and hope that I can incorporate some of those solutions into an essay.

I'm also planning to take the PCAT in July. Good luck!

Moving to PCAT Discussions.

As for suggestions, I recommend watching the news and world events to prepare for controversial and/or political anchored questions.

As to reading, unless it’s related to what I mention above, I don’t think reading a novel will do much justice if you have 4 weeks or less until Test day.

I had a question on my PCAT about an issue I didn't know about. I just bs'd my way through it and still got an average score. I don't think they are looking for how well you know the topic but how well you can formulate ideas and write them down in clear and concise ways in a short time period. As for the reading part, you won't be able to increase your reading speed in just a month. In my opinion, this is something you need to develop over your whole life.