Any alum or current Creighton dental students on here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmb449

Reaction score
If there are any current or recent graduates from Creighton Dent on here I have a few questions I'd like to ask if possible!

-How has the new building and increase in the # of students per class affected things (especially in the clinic)?
-Any idea on specializing % that get into their desired programs? I currently do plan on specializing, but know this may well change after 4 more years of school.
-Are there accessible research opportunities? I truly want to do research wherever I go.
-Any out of state rotations during D3/4? where?
-Are you happy with your decision to attend? Did you have other offers you chose Creighton over? why?
-Anything you wish were different?

My current acceptances include Creighton and Western in CA. As much as I want to live in sunny SoCal, I believe Creighton is the smart decision (both have new buildings but Creighton is 10-15k a year cheaper, established program, have heard good things about clinical experience). However, with 35 additional students each class I worry the clinical experience each student gets will suffer.

Members don't see this ad.

following this because i just got accepted to creighton

Creighton’s website says 20% of their class specializes and that their student to faculty ratio is 6-1. They have a free clinic one evening every week on top of the huge patient waitlist. Creighton is a school you won’t have to worry about getting enough clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like anything else it just depends on the student. I graduated a little over 20 years ago and two of my best buddies from school are OMFS's. We had a ton of students specialize in our year. I was happy to do a GPR and get out. Where there is a will there is a way. It is an overused mantra on goals but there is some truth, you have to want it. Granted I know the economics and the competitiveness for dental school has changed dramatically in a relatively short time. Omaha is a lot of fun, I was and still am from the South. I think cold at times is a positive, good studying weather! I don't regret going at all. Made great friends and even met my wife there. The facility felt a little old at times so the new one is warranted. Of course the current students are helping to pick up the tab. I still wonder when students will say no, the price is too high. Creighton was more inexpensive than a lot of schools back in the day and I still think it is RELATIVELY. Ouch.
There were a ton of patients available and not having residents is a real positive for the clinical education. That said, anyone just needs to go where it is cheapest. High student debt is going to be crippling going into the future for new dentists.

Reactions: 2 users