General Admissions & OTCAS Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nissa23

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering what advice you would give to a student who is worried about their GPA and is wanting to go to OT school? I'm currently enrolled in my last semester of university and have started looking into graduate programs. Two programs I was really interested in were the MOT at St. Augustine in Austin, TX or the OTD at the Dallas campus. I think one thing that is really holding me back is how low my GPA is and I can't help but stress that I won't be accepted in any program because of it. Any advice you could give, I would greatly appreciate.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I was wondering what advice you would give to a student who is worried about their GPA and is wanting to go to OT school? I'm currently enrolled in my last semester of university and have started looking into graduate programs. Two programs I was really interested in were the MOT at St. Augustine in Austin, TX or the OTD at the Dallas campus. I think one thing that is really holding me back is how low my GPA is and I can't help but stress that I won't be accepted in any program because of it. Any advice you could give, I would greatly appreciate.
Hi! USA is pretty easy to get into as they care about money more than stats. I would not recommend the school especially the Dallas campus as most of the professors at the school can’t teach.

Hi @nissa23 my best advice would be to try your best to get A's and B's for your last semester so it can raise up your GPA. I know it's annoying but I would also do over any prerequisites that have any grades of C. Schools mostly look at applications holistically so try to get as much hours as you can in various settings. Also don't be hard on yourself you made it this far. Stay positive and go for your goal!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've struggled with the same issue for a few cycles now and admissions advisors have all told me to retake classes and boost your stats. It is competitive after all and you want to try to strengthen all areas. I've spent a lot of time doing this and now I finally feel ready to apply! It's doable. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! My GPA is complete crap (below a 3.0) and I really made sure to have an amazing personal statement and I worked super hard on my application where the extracurriculars and volunteer descriptions were. I told a story every chance I got to show them who I was. So far I have gotten 4 interviews and was accepted to 1 school. I am even shocked lol. I also did a ton of shadowing in two different settings. Try to get all As on the pre requs. Those are the classes that really matter. But I had two B's in them and I still ended up having luck so there's hope!! I did a one-on-one zoom meeting with someone struggling with the same thing and she said it helped a lot! Let me know if you want to chat. I want everyone on here to succeed!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! My GPA is complete crap (below a 3.0) and I really made sure to have an amazing personal statement and I worked super hard on my application where the extracurriculars and volunteer descriptions were. I told a story every chance I got to show them who I was. So far I have gotten 4 interviews and was accepted to 1 school. I am even shocked lol. I also did a ton of shadowing in two different settings. Try to get all As on the pre requs. Those are the classes that really matter. But I had two B's in them and I still ended up having luck so there's hope!! I did a one-on-one zoom meeting with someone struggling with the same thing and she said it helped a lot! Let me know if you want to chat. I want everyone on here to succeed!
Hi there! if you dont mind me asking, what school were you accepted into??

Hi there! if you dont mind me asking, what school were you accepted into??
I got accepted into Lincoln Memorial really early on so it helped relieve a lot of stress. But I still have interviews rolling in so well see :)

Hi! I just recently got accepted into two programs this week and my GPA is under a 3.0 (2.87)! My advice to you is to gain as much exposure and experience in the field as you can. Also, do well in your pre-requisite classes and retake any if needed. If you apply to a school that takes GRE, try to score well on that because it will help compensate for the lower GPA. I personally did not score too well on the GRE, but I applied mostly to places that didn't require it. I think what helped me a lot was my experience because I had over 3500+ hours as an aide in two settings which I was able to use to my advantage in my interview because I was able to show them I had knowledge for the field. I also had really good letter of recs! It's my second year applying but last year I had a C in both anatomy and physiology but I retook anatomy and got an A. I applied this year with the C in physio and still got in so don't give up! It's not impossible and it's doable as long as make up for it in other areas!