Anxiety about career choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkieturtle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I recently got accepted into a pharm school in CA but after seeing many many posts and comments about saturation, it really scares me. Pharmacy was my career goal when I was a college student. Now I feel lost and useless as I dont know if I should continue forward. My family is low income so the thought of having 200k+ debt with low job opportunities scares me a lot. Can someone help me and give me some advice? Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I recently got accepted into a pharm school in CA but after seeing many many posts and comments about saturation, it really scares me. Pharmacy was my career goal when I was a college student. Now I feel lost and useless as I dont know if I should continue forward. My family is low income so the thought of having 200k+ debt with low job opportunities scares me a lot. Can someone help me and give me some advice? Thank you very much!
32 hours a week is the new 40, so that’s roughly 80ish to 90ish a year depending on what state you’re in minus taxes. To put a dent in your loans you need to be making at least half of your loan amount. You do the math. Oh wait... but you’re planning on going to pharmacy school so your type X....... ask someone to help you with the math.

Well what do you like? What made you want to choose pharmacy? I'm assuming you have pharmacy technician experience - what did you like about it and what didn't you like? Do you want to stick with healthcare? Do you like science? Research? Lab work? Your options are endless.

Although personally, if I could go back, I would not choose anything to do with healthcare at all. I think pretty much every healthcare profession is becoming saturated (albeit pharmacy is definitely the worst of them all)

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides reading the other posts, you probably need to do some soul searching on what would you be able to do. In general, we (on this board) do not expect a good future for the immediate time horizon (5 years or so) and actually expect the opposite where we think job security and pay will be worse. However, that's not just pharmacy, that is quite a number of jobs that are just getting AI'ed away, outsourced, or KPI managed to death. There are very few craftsman jobs at present.

Reactions: 2 users
You can still pursue whatever career you want at this point in your life

Reactions: 1 user
Don't do it.

What drew you to pharmacy in the first place?

This is the question I would start with. No matter which direction you end up going, you have to be at peace with your decision. I understand how daunting a task that is, but it is important.

Now, if it's just about helping people and wanting to get there.. Yes, of course there are lots of options out there.. PA, NP, MD/DO, Nursing, etc..
But ultimately, while you may get lots of advice, the only one who knows what you're going to be happy pursuing a career in is you.

I wish you luck on making your choice :)

I've always wondered this too. As a senior in college looking at career options what is it about Pharmacy that makes you want to do that?

And remember it could be worse. You could be going into Chiropractor school.

You are looking at a high financial risk..very, very likely low reward job. If you have anxiety about that and haven't even started down the road..I think you can answer your own question...My brothers kid just started with the ironworkers (for example) at 22/hr as an apprentice...i.e. they pay to train him...

You are looking at a high financial risk..very, very likely low reward job. If you have anxiety about that and haven't even started down the road..I think you can answer your own question...My brothers kid just started with the ironworkers (for example) at 22/hr as an apprentice...i.e. they pay to train him...
My handyman charges 75/hr with 2 hr minimum. There are many handymen who makes 100-200k/yr. I recently installed 650 ft vinyl flooring for my rental and paid a guy 2k cash, 3 days worth of work for him. He is making more than I'm with a degree lol... Let's not talk about plumber, electrician, hvac companies. Doing trade is a good job.

Reactions: 3 users
Idk why people don’t go into the trades. Sure it’s dirty work, but it pays well. School systems have conditioned kids to go into college which is just going up in price.

I soppose a lot of it is the assumed prestige that comes with a college or doctorate degree. Honestly though, a college degree, unless it’s in accounting, engineering, or nursing, is kind of worthless at this Point.

My handyman charges 75/hr with 2 hr minimum. There are many handymen who makes 100-200k/yr. I recently installed 650 ft vinyl flooring for my rental and paid a guy 2k cash, 3 days worth of work for him. He is making more than I'm with a degree lol... Let's not talk about plumber, electrician, hvac companies. Doing trade is a good job.

If you have the interest, skills and ability trades offer a good return for the investment. But don't forget you work in difficult and very dangerous conditions and when you hit your 50's that work becomes tougher to do.

Your handy man is ripping you off!

Reactions: 1 users
Your handy man is ripping you off!
Actually, it's normal for a handyman that charges $50+/h -_-; It can even go up $125/hr.

Some handyman charges by the job - 15 mins fix and charge you $120...

Actually, it's normal for a handyman that charges $50+/h -_-; It can even go up $125/hr.

Some handyman charges by the job - 15 mins fix and charge you $120...

The last handyman I had come out charged $50/hr with a $100 minimum and I thought that was basically highway robbery. If he had told me $75/hr I would have hung up on him, lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't fall victim to the sunk cost fallacy. If you have a bachelors, you can do many other things or you can just work now and think about it for awhile. I still love pharmacy but I have had unicorn jobs and I know my path has been the exception. Many pharmacists, mostly in retail because people are terrible, are very unhappy with tons of debt. Pharmacy schools will promise the world to get your $$$. Take a Myers Briggs test, see what careers are listed under your profile, pick a few that interest you. Find people that do those jobs and talk to them.

Reactions: 3 users

Lol false. You have a habit of overestimating salaries (e.g. software engineering). :p

Lol false. You have a habit of overestimating salaries (e.g. software engineering). :p
Obviously, you missed a dude that charges $150/hr and got way too much work on his hand.

The handyman that charges 25/hr, they usually are never available. They are booked for 1 effing month. I need him NOW.

The "blue collar" jobs are starting to command more per hour because frankly, not many people want to learn those trades.