Antibiotics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onefellswoop87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ran into an issue recently that nurse pulled incorrect med, put on chart to OR, colleague didn’t double check surgeon order, so wrong antibiotic given. No allergies, the med was a second or third line antibiotic for this type of procedure, so colleague didn’t question it as it was a reasonable choice but not cefazolin. But I’m sure there will be administrative fallout from it.

What’s the policy at your institution?
Here it’s surgeon write pre-op order for antibiotics, nurse (not pharmacy) gets med from Pyxis, compiles OR chart and puts antibiotic on chart, anesthesia gives antibiotic.

This is the only med I give that another physician writes the order for. Almost always surgeons and I, at my small institution, discuss antibiotic choice, but honestly I do not consistently check the surgeon’s pre-op orders.

How does it work in your system?

Members don't see this ad.

What occurred at your institution is how our residency works. It is informal.

At the other institution that we do a rotation at the nurse hands the antibiotic to the anesthesia team and during the time out the antibiotic is then double verified with nurse, anesthesia, surgeon and then administered.

Surgeon’s “consult pharmacy for perioperative antiobiotics”. Pharmacy orders whatever is appropriate based on allergies and current recs for that type of surgery. Preop nurse gets the med and has it sitting at bedside for us. Then I give it in OR. Vanco is usually already infusing in preop. Then confirm correct atbx was given as part of timeout. They’re actually reasonably aggressive with giving ancef to PCN allergic folks, which I appreciate.

Reactions: 1 user